Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Works Performance Dual-Rate Drop-In Fork Cartridges??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Experience with Works Performance Dual-Rate Drop-In Fork Cartridges??

I've been in touch with Progressive because they've come out with their Monotube Fork Cartridge Kit for Dynas. Unfortunately for me, they're not offering it for 39mm forks like on my 2005 FXDLi. I have confirmed that they have no intention of developing this kit for 39mm Dyna front ends.

I've been keeping up with the Ricor Intiminator/Traxxion Single Rate Spring thread and I like the results members have achieved. However, it appears all the brave experimenters/test subjects have bikes with 49mm front ends so their results don't directly translate to how I would have to set up this combination.

With some research I came across the Works Performance Dual-Rate Drop-In Fork Cartridge but I cannot find a lot of information about it online. I did find this thread here on HD Forums: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...artridges.html
The thread is several years old and really provides the results of only a couple members' experiences with the system.

I am wondering whether anyone can provide information about more recent experiences with the Works Performance system, especially if used in a 39mm Dyna front end?

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a good product,
Follow the instructions closely and you will be nothing but satisfied.
Tom Edison over at works put a nice package when designing the "drop in" system.

Joe

Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I ran them on my SuperMoto bikes. They're really good products. A lot of people confuse dual rate with progressive rate, but they are entirely different. These dual rate springs use a softer spring for a small part of the suspension travel, and when they reach a certain limit, the second, firmer spring starts working. The rates and the transfer points are "tunable" in that you can mix and match springs to your liking.

I have the a Traxxion/Ricor setup in my Street Bob because I wanted a firm suspension. For a touring/cruising setup, these a Works springs are perfect.

Dual rate springs are great race springs on lighter bikes.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM
jmb79
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, SLV. That is the type of feedback I was hoping to receive. I too want a firmer front end (much firmer than the OE setup I have now). Perhaps I'm going to have to take the plunge and try to find the right traxxion/ricor set up for my 39mm front end.

Last edited by jmb79; 02-07-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:48 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jmb79
Thanks, SLV. That is the type of feedback I was hoping to receive. I too want a firmer front end (much firmer than the OE setup I have now). Perhaps I'm going to have to take the plunge and try to find the right taxxion/ricor set up for my 39mm front end.
Don't discount a cartridge setup if you can spare the cash, it will far out perform a spring and oil suspension. My comments were more related to dual rate springs and oil.

In order of preference.
Upside down forks (full cartridge built as part of the tube.) $$$$$
Cartridge inserts dropped into the tube $$$
Single rate springs, an emulator (Ricor Intiminator or Racetech Gold Valve), better oil $$
Dual rate springs and better oil $
Progressive springs and better oil $