Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost Efficient Motor Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Cost Efficient Motor Build

Alright, so I know you generally get what you pay for. I'm aware that I can dump thousands and thousands on a big engine build, but that's not what I'm doing. I was going to dump my tax return into the motor this year, but we've got twin boys coming in a few months so I need to stay responsible. Here's the few options I'm looking at:

1) I want to go at least 103" and I've been eyeing the Screamin' Eagle Stage II 103" kit that i've found for around $650 on eBay- it has all the gaskets, Big Bore Cylinders, Clutch spring and Piston assemblies AND SE 255 cams (plus an air filter that i'd probably sell anyway)

2) Then there's the 106" S&S kit closer to $750, but it has only Cylinders, Piston assemblies and gaskets (i'd need to find cams and clutch spring on my own for another few hundred)

3) This is where I'm uneducated...is it anymore cost effective to just bore out my existing cylinders and buy cams and piston assemblies separate?

I'm leaning toward the 103 kit because it's just so simple- everything I need all in one order, but I'm second guessing because 103 is like the standard Dyna engine now. I'm spending all this money to get a close to "stock" motor except cams. Is the 106" THAT much better that it's worth the extra money?

On the other hand, some of the "rippingest" bikes around here are older bikes with 95" engine builds with all the bells and whistles that **** all over the bigger 110's.

Opinions and recommendations please.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
Alright, so I know you generally get what you pay for. I'm aware that I can dump thousands and thousands on a big engine build, but that's not what I'm doing. I was going to dump my tax return into the motor this year, but we've got twin boys coming in a few months so I need to stay responsible. Here's the few options I'm looking at:

1) I want to go at least 103" and I've been eyeing the Screamin' Eagle Stage II 103" kit that i've found for around $650 on eBay- it has all the gaskets, Big Bore Cylinders, Clutch spring and Piston assemblies AND SE 255 cams (plus an air filter that i'd probably sell anyway)

2) Then there's the 106" S&S kit closer to $750, but it has only Cylinders, Piston assemblies and gaskets (i'd need to find cams and clutch spring on my own for another few hundred)

3) This is where I'm uneducated...is it anymore cost effective to just bore out my existing cylinders and buy cams and piston assemblies separate?

I'm leaning toward the 103 kit because it's just so simple- everything I need all in one order, but I'm second guessing because 103 is like the standard Dyna engine now. I'm spending all this money to get a close to "stock" motor except cams. Is the 106" THAT much better that it's worth the extra money?

On the other hand, some of the "rippingest" bikes around here are older bikes with 95" engine builds with all the bells and whistles that **** all over the bigger 110's.

Opinions and recommendations please.
With the SE 103 and S&S 106 kits you are paying for new cylinders. You already own cylinders.

Buy the pistons of your choice, S&S 106 are fine. Have your cylinder bored locally.

Get some S&S easy start cams, this is the cheapest way to get compression release.

Cam and compression ratio and cylinder heads all need to be considered together!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:15 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

have your cylinders bored, go for the 107cid you can't substitute cubic inches. talked to your builder on what style rider you are and pick a cam based on that riding style or what you figure you what to achieve. if you stick with s&s cams like the 570 the base circle is the same as stock cam which would save you a $150.00 for pushrods. and would work with your stock heads would run strong on a budget build. but the head work is worth every penny if you can afford it. don't know how much you want to spend.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:20 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was to go into my engine, I would do the 107 with the easy start cams. I think that setup gives you the bigest bang for the buck. Going into the motor to make a 103 just wouldn't be worth it for me. I would also have the heads ported and polished since the guy I would use has one of the best porting shops around.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:43 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

My only question with the 98, and 107 kits are they are already at the biggest specs. Can you still do a reborn for 5-10 thousands over if you have a mishap or let's say a piston clip scores your wall. Do you have to buy new 107 cylinders all over again instead of a rebore with over pistons.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

you are done, find a used stock cylinder have it bored 3.938

Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah 107 seems like it's pushing it. I hear 106 is the biggest you can safely bore to. 107 works but you're workin with thing walls.

I agree with getting the stockers bored, I realize it's a part I already own, just didn't know if paying someone to bore them offset the cost of new jugs. Thanks fellas.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:57 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

boring to 107cid is safe hillside, fuelmoto, Kirby etc. have been doing it for years with great results nothing to worry about.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Flickerdart1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find a good engine builder in your area that comes highly recommended and that you can trust. Sit down with him and discuss all your questions . Your build will then be tailored to your needs and you will know exactly what to expect . The cost will be kept to your wants and engine performance designed with parts that all work together for the best most efficient build .
..........Many excellent engine builders in San Diego area !

Last edited by Flickerdart1; 02-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Tell us what your budget is. Mine was $2k........I'm over $4k now....just sayin

Quick Reply: Cost Efficient Motor Build