Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips to help me remove my wiring harness on 05 and older Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any tips to help me remove my wiring harness on 05 and older Dyna?

I am in the process of tearing down my 2000 Super Glide for paint and powder coat. I want to remove the wiring harness. So far all I have accomplisehed on this was removing the battery, battery box, and fuse box. I have unplugged all of the connections in the seat area already.

I need to know if once I get the slack in the harness, and I unplug the handlebar control connectors in the backbone. Will the harness then pull out of the rear of the backbone?

Old 02-09-2014, 04:28 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh yeah,
ANY tips to ease this job would be greatly appreciated....

Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

will also need to disconnect the headlight and turn signals from the same place as the handle bar switches. need to remove the plastic tie wraps in the back bone as the harness is bundled up ,remove rear wheel or rear fender and you see the harness bundled up on the lower back bone just above the swing arm in front of the rear wheel, the rear fender would have a square plastic cover in that area

Old 02-09-2014, 08:44 PM
filthpig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

be very careful..... after everything is disconnected pull slowly through the backbone, making extra sure none of the plugs get caught on any of the nooks and crannys inside the backbone.

It can be done , when you go to insert it after powder comes the hard part. My own experience doing this very thing gave me a few insights.

1. get a long thick piece of weed eater string, long enough to string through the entire length of the backbone and enough to run the length of the wiring harness.

2.tie the end of the weed eater string at the rear end of the wiring harness about where the upper and lower portions of it split.

3.with the string run the length of the wiring harness and secure the front part of the harness to the string with saran wrap, wrap it extremely tight around the front portion with all the plugs. wrap about 18 inches of the front of the harness.

4.with the remainder of the string you can now feed it through the backbone and pull the harness with it. The knot tied at the rear end will keep the string from pulling through the saran wrap, when you have it done you can untie it and pull it through. Wrapping the front portion alows all the plugs to thread through the backbone fairly well and after your done it can be cut or torn out to be removed.

5.patience, be prepared for some frustration, lots of it!

this is how I managed to do it after stripping everything down and powder coating my frame.

lots of luck,
filth

Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 PM
filthpig
Cruiser

oh yeah, do it lastly after everything has been removed. Pull motor and transmission first. When your down to bare frame and wiring harness it makes it a lot easier to pull it out.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:04 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank You Guys,
That was a very clear and precise description of how to do this job. I
find the whole disassembly quite nerve racking. I already have the fairing, tank, fenders, batt box, pass pegs, fuse box, ignition box, belt guards, shocks, and a few other items removed. I will wait until I get the engine and trans out before I continue with the wiring harness.

The frame doesnt really need powder coated as it only has a few flaws in the underseat area, but my OCD gets the better of me most of the time. I am powder coating most of the rest of the bike so I figured why not go a little further and do the frame also.

I have another question(s)

1. Where do I get the socket to remove the ignition switch? It looks like a special 4 point socket is required?

2. How do you remove the steering lock tumbler from the frame? Is there a clip on the inside of the neck that I can gain access to when I pull the triple trees out?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,771 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter

1. Where do I get the socket to remove the ignition switch? It looks like a special 4 point socket is required?
I made the wrench for removal

two large flat washers, two pins, one 3/4 inch nut

Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

This doesnt really have anything to do with the original question, but I guess I am needing a kick in the butt in the form of insight to what lies ahead on this project.

1. Do you guys leave the engine and transmission bolted together when you remove it from the frame? Is it possible that one man with a light weight helper could assist with?

Thanks for the on the ignition socket Mud, and the wiring information from filthipig, and Robtarra

Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM
filthpig
Cruiser

if you do not have access to a welder to make one like Mud did, use the snap ring circlip tool. Set the two pins into the plate and use a screw driver to twist the tool.
When you have the trees and front locking plate undone its just a matter of wiggling it
out of the frame.

one more vital piece of the puzzle..........Model specific manual!!!!!!!

it really does come in very handy

Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 AM
filthpig
Cruiser

I tried to drop motor and tranny still bolted, with the primary still together it was a no go. Pulled primary off and it probably would if the rocker covers got pulled. In the end completely took them apart, this made it possible to do it by myself.

I assume the light weight helper would be your wife, if you go to all the trouble of stripping it down, and have her hold things steady while you remove motor, it is do able.

A jack and straps to hold frame to jack are a must.

This is a massive undertaking, and one that can be done by yourself with a little help here and there.

good luck,
filth

Quick Reply: Any tips to help me remove my wiring harness on 05 and older Dyna?