Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Front end conversion question

Would I be able to install a set of Fat Bob trees, Street Bob fork legs, Street Bob front brake caliper and a complete Fat Bob front wheel (minus the right brake disk) with Fat Bob wheel spacers onto my Street Bob with out any issues or will I have fitment issues?

I want to put the wider front end, a wider front tire with a smaller rim on the bike and do it with the minimal replacement of parts.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:44 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Parts?

Do you have the whole unit or are you going to piece together this. If you are going to piece it together there are way many better options than that one purpose higher caliper mounts, and bastard size hub. I know of two which is using these parts below or by using 2014 bagger sliders. All use Fat Bob trees. Fat Bob sliders are the wors as you can not upgrade the calipers to something good.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

What I want to achieve is the wider front end like that on the Fat Bob. I would get new top and bottom trees, us my complete fork legs and caliper off my Street Bob, order a front wheel ready to receive a wider tire (something around the same size as my stock rear), this new rim would use the stock dimensions of the fat bobs rim for the hub measurements. Spoked rims.

What I don't know is if the caliper sits with the same offset off the leg on the fat bob as it does with the street bob. Would I be able to mount a fat bob rim (mock up) onto the legs off the street bob that are installed on a fat bob tree and have the caliper line up?

Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Take the time to read

Go back over what I already wrote as I have answered all of your questions already. Let me spell it out again.

>>> What I want to achieve is the wider front end like that on the Fat Bob. I would get new top and bottom trees, us my complete fork legs and caliper off my Street Bob,
<<< No problem so far

>>> order a front wheel ready to receive a wider tire (something around the same size as my stock rear)
<<<< Just use a 2000~Current FLT front hub (hoop makes no difference)

>>> stock dimensions of the fat bobs rim for the hub measurements.
<<< Mistake #1. I already told you that: "there are way many better options than that one purpose higher caliper mounts (FatBob sliders), and bastard size (FatBob) hub" & "Fat Bob sliders are the worst (option) as you can not upgrade the calipers to something good".

>>> What I don't know is if the caliper sits with the same offset off the leg on the fat bob as it does with the street bob.
<<< Yes it does. The second slider is where the larger caliper offset (pushes the caliper in more) is so you can use a thinner (FatBob) hub (than a FLT). Why use a FatBob hub, they are expensive when you can use a FLT (wideglide dresser) hub. That is what you see on my bike using one of my FLT hubs in my C/F wheel in stock FatBob trees. The Widegllide, FLT, and FatBob triple trees have the exact same center to center fork measurement. If you put a thinner hub into these trees, what do you think you would have to do? Of course you have to move the caliper in as the FatBob use the same exact same calipers as a 2000~2007 FLT. I already told you they move up the caliper mounts because they now run 300 mm rotors. How could you use the same Twin Cam calipers (2000~2005 FXD & 2000~2007 FLT) that use a 11 1/2" rotor than use the same caliper(s) & a 300mm rotor(s)? The MOCO moves the brake caliper mounts up on the slider. Now no aftermarket better braking solution will work.

>>> Would I be able to mount a fat bob rim (mock up) onto the legs off the street bob that are installed on a fat bob tree and have the caliper line up?
<<< Yes you could but why?

Summery:
If you are going to piece it together there are way many better options than that one purpose higher caliper mounts, and bastard size hub.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:21 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

I now understand why your telling me to use the FLT hub, because it is a wider hub and would work better with my single caliper application, correct? But would the rotor that is used on my stock 2010 street bob hub work on the FLT hub? Is my rotor a 300 mm or a 11.5"? I don't know, I only know it's stock. I don't plan on using an after market brake system or the lowers off a Fat Bob, so I don't understand why this is an issue.
Also, I didn't know that there was even a Fat Bob hub that could be used, I thought they were all mags and a mag is what I was going to use for mock up, rather then a new wheel. But the FLT will work also.

From what I am getting my setup should be;
1-Fat Bob Triple Trees (new parts to me)
2-Complete FLT rim with spokes and hub, any specific years I should search for? (new parts to me)
3-Left rotor taken off of Street Bob hub (currently have) and installed on FLT hub (will this work?)
4-Street Bob fork legs completely assembled, taken off current Street Bob trees and installed in Fat Bob trees with Street Bob Caliper never removed from left fork leg lower. (Currently have)
5-Spacers from FLT for alignment spacing. (New parts to me)
6-Axle and wheel bearings (new parts to me) that mate up with Street Bob fork lowers and long enough to go across the legs.

No after market items used in this setup, all OEM parts from other stock HD models.

Is that setup correct? Am I missing anything?

Last edited by blueangel73; 02-12-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am wanting to do this same mod. I have a set of fat bob wheels. I have a '12 fxdb. I was hoping that I could just buy a fat bob triple and axel with spacers. Will this work?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:58 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mind. I guess you already answered that.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Fork conversion

The reason to go with a FatBob is to get dual rotors/calipers. Are you going to do all of this expense & work for purely cosmetic reasons and no performance gains such as better braking?

If so than put on your forks inside of FatBob trees, your forks complete, a FLT hub years already specified because they are plentiful & cheap. Install a hub cap or your own blocking plate on the unused rotor side of the hub, than add a new fender. Of course you will need a new axle and spacers.

I am sorry as I was under the assumption you were trying to get more performance out of your bike. I am signing off now. Good luck on your endeavors.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I did this a few years ago.
-Fat Bob trees
-FLHT front wheel
-Street Bob forks
-Street Bob spacer
-25mm or 1 inch FLHT axle depending on your new wheel bearings. Either axle will fit in the fork sliders.
-Street Bob brakes will line up properly

I even did this on a Nightster and reused the Nighster caliper with no issues.

Klockwerks makes an adapter for this exact setup to hang an FLHT front fender. Just be sure to order for FXDC/B lowers vs FXDF lowers.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Spot Lights

If this is where you going: Using the Fat Bob front end, I was able to adapt a set of FL Softail Spot Lights to the bike using 4 Kuryakyn 49mm clamps. From this a Heritage classic windshield was used.

Quick Reply: Front end conversion question