Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Removing Rear Turn Signals!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
STREET BOB JOE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Removing Rear Turn Signals!

I am stumped. I have unbolted the housing and stem but obviously the wiring runs inside the fender. I have tried to deconstruct the signal housing to free it from the wires with no luck. I am about to cut the wires and then will just have to soldier them back together after painting my bullets.

Any other ideas or tips? Help!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Follow the wires to the tail light, take the wires out of the connectors, mark which on goes where, remove signal.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by STREET BOB JOE
I am stumped. I have unbolted the housing and stem but obviously the wiring runs inside the fender. I have tried to deconstruct the signal housing to free it from the wires with no luck. I am about to cut the wires and then will just have to soldier them back together after painting my bullets.

Any other ideas or tips? Help!
On the older full fender bikes the signal wires ran into the fender and back inside the tail light housing. You would still need to take the plugs apart the get all the wiring out. Look under the fender and try and see where they run on your bike. I cut my wires but only because I threw them in the garbage

Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what year SB you have? On my '12 the turn signal connections are stuffed up in the tail light. Their might be a junction box some where if you don't have a tail light. Get a flashlight and look all around up in the rear fender.vBulletin

Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 PM
STREET BOB JOE
Cruiser

Sorry I should have specified. Mine is a 2014. Turn signals are the taillights. I managed to get the wires out of the socket on one side. Hopefully didn't cause to mush damage in the attempt. This is a huge pain in the ***!

Old 02-12-2014, 09:43 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

He has no tail light. The wires run all the way to TH electrical bundle under the seat.

OP,
Did you get the reflector out of the housing?

If not, do this.
Take off the lenses with a flathead screwdriver in the groove on the side of the lens.
Take out the bulb by pushing and turning.
Make a hook from a stiff wire like a coat hanger. Use it to pull the plastic reflector from the housing.
Toward the back of the reflector, on the square shaped section, you'll see the flat edge of a piece of metal about 1/8" wide. It is a sprung clip. Push that in while gently pulling the wire. It comes right out.

Alternatively, at the other end of the wire, you can disassemble the Molex connector. Search YouTube for Molex disassembly. It's easy once you know how it works.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well there ya go lol. I guess you shouldn't throw them in the trash if they're also your brake light.. Your the man slv

Old 02-12-2014, 10:14 PM
JonnyLew
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this a few nights ago..pull seat off disconnect the harness then jack bike up abit just to take some weight off rear..start on lower shock bolts..then once you crack the tension jack bike abit more untill its a hair between tire and ground..remove lower shock bolts then as your rear tire touches ground jack bike until the bolts can clear the rear tire..hold the signals housings while you pull the bolt out then feed wires through the fender..it will come right through the hole..then voila..reverse to put it all back togeather..it tool me awhile to find this info so i figured it write it anyways for the next guy that will be looking for the same info haha but by the way i see what your saying now.. gutting the light housing is what you meant..that i didnt do

Old 02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
STREET BOB JOE
Cruiser

I got them off and was able to get the wires out the split sides of the little white grommet inside the reflector. The black wire that runs up the side I couldn't get correctly and it broke at the clamp. Don't know if I will need a new reflector piece or if a little solider will do.

Quick Reply: Help! Removing Rear Turn Signals!