Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinched/broken front turn signal wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 AM
TylerBoehm
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinched/broken front turn signal wire

Anyone have to replace any front turn signal wiring? My blinkers are on the handlebars and are internally wired. I installed new levers and I had to loosen the signals and move them out of the way to remove the pivot pins and I must've pinched/broke a wire. Right now my right front blinker doesn't work. (No running light or flash)

Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TylerBoehm
Anyone have to replace any front turn signal wiring? My blinkers are on the handlebars and are internally wired. I installed new levers and I had to loosen the signals and move them out of the way to remove the pivot pins and I must've pinched/broke a wire. Right now my right front blinker doesn't work. (No running light or flash)
Did you take the housing apart and make sure the wires aren't pinched where they come out of the bars? That's one of the most common places the wires get pinched. If you only took them loose at your hand controls you should be able to see where it's been pinched in the wiring cover. A lot of times just taking it all back apart and putting it together paying attention to not pinch the wire you can fix it simple as that.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 AM
TylerBoehm
Cruiser

I plan to do that tomorrow. It's a good possibility that's what it is. I did loosen the housing a little bit taking the lever out. It's been a solid 2 degrees the past several days so I haven't checked yet.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer

I plan to do that tomorrow. It's a good possibility that's what it is. I did loosen the housing a little bit taking the lever out. It's been a solid 2 degrees the past several days so I haven't checked yet.
oof yeah with those temps I wouldn't be too keen to do it either!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 AM
TylerBoehm
Cruiser

I have seen a little pinch mark on the outer sheath where it goes into the bars. It doesn't go through though, just an indent.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer

I have seen a little pinch mark on the outer sheath where it goes into the bars. It doesn't go through though, just an indent.
Yep, that's all it takes.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:00 AM
TylerBoehm
Cruiser

How difficult is it replacing the wire? It plugs into the harness up under the tank right?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:05 AM
boosting1bar
Tourer

How difficult is it replacing the wire? It plugs into the harness up under the tank right?
If you unpinch it you shouldn't have to replace it most likely. It's just a matter of getting it back together without pinching it again. The harness plugs in in the neck in front of your tank on some models, under the tank on others. On my FB it's in the neck. It'd be a pain in the *** to replace the whole wire because you'd have to strip that wire out of the loom that runs down the bars. You'd have to take the wires out of the bars and that's a colossal pain in the ***, no way I'd do that. You're better off just cutting the wire right at the controls, putting some heatshrink over the wire, soldering it back together, and heatshrinking it.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 AM
TylerBoehm
Cruiser

I think that is what I'll do since I know where the pinch mark is. And it's up where the wire is in the housing so even if I just electrical tape it you won't see if. Thanks for your help. I'm going to check the bulb later today but I don't see how loosening it and letting it hang would've damaged the bulb. My blinker light on my instrument panel does flash really fast though which to me indicates a blown bulb. Unless the pinched wire causes that also.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
TylerBoehm
Cruiser

Funny story. Swapped the bulbs, didn't work. Looked over the pinch mark better and decided I won't be able to crimp it back together so said F it. I'm putting it back together and taking it to the dealer. Put it all back together and it works hahaha

Quick Reply: Pinched/broken front turn signal wire