Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Ape Install Questions...

Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 AM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mini Ape Install Questions...

EDIT: Project is complete - thanks for the help!

I'm about ready to get to work on my mini-ape install on my 2005 Super Glide. I've got WG mini apes, and all the stock cables (clutch, brake, throttle, idle) for the WG.

I'm concerned about the clutch cable removal/install. I've read a bunch of old posts, but I'm not sure I have a clear answer on a few items:

1. Do I need to drain the transmission oil before I remove the side cover, or will I just need to catch a small amount of oil that may seep out?
2. Do I need to remove the snap-ring and associated parts, or will I simply be able to unhook the cable?
3. Is a new gasket needed for re-installation of the side cover?

It looks like from what I've read that I will not need to replace the throttle and idle cables - I bought the new cables just to be sure. But if I can eliminate having to mess around with the throttle body, then that's one less step. Hoping that's the case.

I think I'm set with the brake line and the wiring, so really my biggest concern is the clutch...

Thanks!

Last edited by sgr60; 02-16-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

You need an HD manual for your bike.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

You will snap ring pliers to remove the clutch cable, you can put a 2x4 under the jiffy stand to help level the bike but you will still lose some oil. Personally
I would just drain & replace the oil when finished

Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 AM
cvfd17
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive replaced 5 clutch cables on touring model bikes. The first i used the snap ring tool. The other i was just able to manipulate the cable on, very easy to do. Just make sure the ***** stay in the channel. The 2x4 trick works also with the fluid

Old 02-15-2014, 07:43 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I changed over to the WG mini-apes last year. Other than getting the front brakes to bleed, I did not have anything that did not go as planned...except that the brake line did have to be replaced.

Originally Posted by sgr60
I'm about ready to get to work on my mini-ape install on my 2005 Super Glide. I've got WG mini apes, and all the stock cables (clutch, brake, throttle, idle) for the WG.

1. Do I need to drain the transmission oil before I remove the side cover, or will I just need to catch a small amount of oil that may seep out?
No, you do not need to drain, yes you will need to catch the small amount that will leak out. Mine lost about 1/4 cup.

2. Do I need to remove the snap-ring and associated parts, or will I simply be able to unhook the cable?
Yes, you will need to remove the snap ring and associated parts. Your new cable should have came with an O-ring. If it didn't, you should get one and replace it anyway.

3. Is a new gasket needed for re-installation of the side cover?
Not really necessary if the original one is intact, but it is a good idea anyway.

It looks like from what I've read that I will not need to replace the throttle and idle cables - I bought the new cables just to be sure. But if I can eliminate having to mess around with the throttle body, then that's one less step. Hoping that's the case.
My cables might have worked but were just too tight when I turned full left for my liking so I replaced them. Since you already have them, you should go ahead and do it...one less thing to worry about.

I think I'm set with the brake line and the wiring, so really my biggest concern is the clutch...
The brake line on my '01 was too short and would not fit with the new mini-apes so I had to stop and locate a replacement before I could complete the job I would advise just going ahead and getting another line. I searched these forums and found the part numbers for all of the cables and brake line. Ordered one from a dealer in Colorado because the local dealer would have had to back order it and I was too impatient to wait.

Take photos before you disassemble and while you are disassembling for reference on how to reassemble. Don't try to save a few bucks by cutting corners like with the throttle cables and brake line...do it once, do it right.

Good luck and keep us up on your progress...

Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 PM
sgr60
Tourer

Thanks for all the replies.

I got started on the project this afternoon. No issues so far, just slow going with the wiring. I have the new clutch and brake line attached on the bike and one side of the wiring done. We weren't able to find the plugs to the wiring harnesses (even with lifting the front of the tank) so rather than keep digging around or pull too much on them, we just cut the harnesses and attached very long leads to each wire (and labeled each) and ran them through the bars. The drawback is that the second set of connections have to be done with the bars on the bike - not the end of the world.

While the headlight and bars are off I also took this opportunity to re-wire my passing lamps. The previous owner made a pretty good mess out the wiring, so it looks a LOT better now.

Tomorrow will be the the last set of connections on the 2nd wiring harness, getting the controls mounted, adjusting the throttle/idle/clutch and bleeding the break. Almost there!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:09 PM
sgr60
Tourer

Complete!

Didn't take too many pics, but here's one halfway through and two complete. Sorry the quality isn't great...