Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Door Opener Mod Possible on 2010+ FXDWG?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage Door Opener Mod Possible on 2010+ FXDWG?

I'm looking to do the garage door opener mod on my bike while I have it all Torn apart. I like the one where you mount the opener inside the dash, splice it into the headlights and mount an odometer reset button to the side of the dash panel to open the garage. Nice and clean yet easy to operate. Not a fan of the high beam flashing or horn honking variations...

The only problem is, I'm not sure there's enough room inside my dash panel... Below the Speedo, is indicator light housing and then right below that is the ignition switch. And once you get down that low, the door opener is too thick for the dash to fit on the tank. Below are some pics of my dash. Anyone that has done this mod to a 2010 and up Wide Glide, please share any tips...

Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I have thought about it too, as I don't need the hole in the chrome cover I acquired on my 2013. Perhaps if you tear the opener apart and just use the circuit board? Should be thin enough then...I just clip mine to the spark plug wires usually, or in my pocket...

Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

On a softail,I mounted a garage door opener under the seat,above the battery. Switch is on my dash panel.Works fine.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

mount the opener somewhere else and do the button on the dash if you want that. i have done it to the brights line as well so when i flash my brights the door opens, works great! any 12v power source will do it

Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
I have thought about it too, as I don't need the hole in the chrome cover I acquired on my 2013. Perhaps if you tear the opener apart and just use the circuit board? Should be thin enough then...I just clip mine to the spark plug wires usually, or in my pocket...
Yeah, the pocket is always a little sketchy because I have one of those goofy *** suburbia driveways where it's the same amount of bump as the "curb" everywhere else. And the openers don't usually work until i'm just about to the driveway. One-handed, diagonal, door opening driveway entrances are something I was hoping to do away with this coming riding season...

Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

Yeah, I'd do like Joe said, and just mount the button in the dash. I've been considering doing that very thing - stashing the box under my seat or something like that, then just splicing in a weatherproof button or switch somewhere else on the bike that I can get to when I pull into the driveway. Seems like any old replacement clicker will work fine once it's programmed to your opener, it's just a matter of wiring in the new switch to replace the original button.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:53 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Read my thread, you can either use hi beam trigger or switch your choice. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...7027&styleid=7

Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have an older version of this http://www.mo-door.com/Factory-HD-Switch.html (different switch.)

I bought it and used it on my streetable-SuperMoto and transferred it to the SB last year. Still running on the same battery after three years. This new version has a nice switch that would fit well on the dash.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine went on the plate on top of the tank with double back tape. I had to grind down the back of the opener to get it all the way down. Just make sure you use an opener with I think it was the A23 battery (12V).

Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer

Originally Posted by JaronB
Mine went on the plate on top of the tank with double back tape. I had to grind down the back of the opener to get it all the way down. Just make sure you use an opener with I think it was the A23 battery (12V).
Damn, I didn't even realize it would clear underneath there. That looks to be almost directly underneath the ignition switch. Nice! That's where mine shall be too then... And thanks for the reminder in the 12v

Quick Reply: Garage Door Opener Mod Possible on 2010+ FXDWG?