Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
lesplay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering question....

I've read quite a bit about lowering pros and cons. Looks vs comfort. I was wanting to go wih the PS 430's in 11" and have been told that it creates a harsher ride and limits 2 up riding options as weight becomes an issue. Not that concerned about "white line'ing" it on the Dragon.

So....what if I went with Progressives in the stock 12" or 11.5" height an combined with lowering blocks??

Wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds......and options, as I could place the shocks back in original position, in about 15 minutes, for a road trip with the wife?

Old 02-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran 12" on lowering blocks for a long time. I felt like it handled just fine. Obviously your lean angle is gonna take a dive but, depending on how you ride, it may not make that big of a difference. Just be aware.
Also, make sure your wiring is tucked out of the way from where you tire will be.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

I don't like lowering blocks, changing the angle of the shock etc. Just seems like a bad idea.

For a road trip with the wife, changing the entire set of shocks back to stock is probably the same amount of work as pulling the blocks out. just sayin'.

First time I lowered my WG, that was my plan. But after seeing the bike NOT looking like a dirt bike, the stock shocks never went back on the bike. And that was a long time ago.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:05 PM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Architect
I don't like lowering blocks, changing the angle of the shock etc. Just seems like a bad idea.

For a road trip with the wife, changing the entire set of shocks back to stock is probably the same amount of work as pulling the blocks out. just sayin'.
Definitely a good point. Just trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too. Want a lowered look and still be comfortable...even when solo.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Go with the PS 430 in 11" with standard springs or 444 in 11.5" with a lower seat.

My first attempt sucked:
11" PS 412 with HD springs and drop in PS lowering kit in the front. It felt awesome to sit on, the ride, not so much. Cornering sucked, bumps sucked, got into a death wobble a few times, scared the crap out of me!

New setup:
11.5" PS 444, front back to stock springs with Ricor intiminators and RSD preload adjusters. The forks are raised up the trees .5" and a Badlander HD seat. I raised the bike back up .5" or so, but the seat compensated for it.
My 2 up seat is being shaved and revamped to fit me better with a passenger.

The 430 and 444 shocks are quick hand adjustable to fit the ride situation.

Believe me, you will end up spending a lot of $ trying to get the right combination.

The other issue may just be that you want to slam it for looks not ride-ability.

Check out my Sig Pic.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gommee
Go with the PS 430 in 11" with standard springs or 444 in 11.5" with a lower seat.

Believe me, you will end up spending a lot of $ trying to get the right combination.

The other issue may just be that you want to slam it for looks not ride-ability.
Yea, I want the lowered look, (not necessarily slammed), but also best ride. Gonna go with the LaPera Barebones seat. I know there has been a lot of trial and error here.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:14 PM
lesplay
Cruiser

..anyone else want to chime in...feel free. Looking for all the advice I can get on how I can lower and still get a decent ride with performance. Realize that if I was was looking to lay it low and sideways in the curves, I would have bought a different bike.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:53 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We lowered out wide glide. Went with 1 inch drop in front with 11 inch shocks in the rear.
It looked really good, solo riding wasn't bad but 2 up sucked. scraping the exhaust a lot felt every small hole and rock on the road.
Went to 12 inch in the rear and left the front untouched with the 1inch lowered. Not to bad but not good either 2 up.
I did use Harley shocks as I had them laying around. Would have been better with a better grade shocks.
I have tried the lowering blocks an did not like them. They change the angle of the shocks making them soft.
If you do use lowering blocks and ride 2 up I suggest the heavy duty shocks instead of the standard.
Even with the 12 inch shocks I still have bent knees. I am 5'7".
Hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 PM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

I went with 11" Progressive heavy duty 412's and didn't do anything in the front. Had to ditch the footboards in my sic pic and go back to pegs. Lovin' it....

Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I am using lowering blocks, looks better and havent noticed much of a difference in riding or handling, nothing thats drastic anyway. I have rode 2-up once with them on there and there were no issues.

Quick Reply: Lowering question....