Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Check - Would Appreciate Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:02 PM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Check - Would Appreciate Thoughts

Bike is '04 FXDP Police; 56K (very rough) mi.; TC88A is stock- no performance mods, no SE hyd cam plate/oil pump upgrade. I've had the cams/oil pump out of it numerous times to change cam chain tensioners, replace lifters (this winter), and install Baisley LRM-002 spring (this winter also). The gerotors & pump internals look good, but the feed gerotor has stuck to the cam plate 2X when I've removed it, & fallen to the floor. I'm not sure I've ever put it back the same way it originally went in. So got concerned about oil pressure at speed, and with the Baisley Spring. So this weekend, installed an OP gauge temporarily just to benchmark the pressure on this well-worn mill.

Hot, got 18 psi @ 1,000 rpm; 42-45 @ 2,500; 50 @ 3,000; and she would readily spike over 60 (limit of my gauge) when cold, or when I really goosed it when hot (M1 20w-50; oil temp dipstick indicated 210 F).

Question is, are these results reasonable? 18 @ hot idle, in particular, seems high. Should I be concerned about it spiking > 60? When I installed the Baisley, I removed the relief pellet & cleaned it good, it was well free then.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-02-2014, 02:27 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested to hear opinions on this as well. I have heard great things about the Baisley spring.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Sounds about like mine does with the high flow pump that came with the hydraulic upgrade kit except for the 60 lb. spike.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM
M&P340
Tourer

One other thing. The reason I installed the Baisley & lifters is that I began to hear a light tapping out of the rear cyl last fall, so figgered a lifter was weak. Installed Comp Cams Chevy 850-1 lifters, along with Baisley this winter. I never checked the pressure before this winter teardown, but either the lifters or the Baisley (or both) sure stopped the tap.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

From what I've seen in here, the lifter was most likely the culprit. Being a low pressure/high volume system, as long as the light isn't on, you're good. I get 50 lbs. at cold start, but it settles to 15-20 when hot.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:21 PM
M&P340
Tourer

Originally Posted by QC
From what I've seen in here, the lifter was most likely the culprit. Being a low pressure/high volume system, as long as the light isn't on, you're good. I get 50 lbs. at cold start, but it settles to 15-20 when hot.
Thanks very much for the input. That's what I was looking for. I feel better about it now.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:53 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M&P340
One other thing. The reason I installed the Baisley & lifters is that I began to hear a light tapping out of the rear cyl last fall, so figgered a lifter was weak. Installed Comp Cams Chevy 850-1 lifters, along with Baisley this winter. I never checked the pressure before this winter teardown, but either the lifters or the Baisley (or both) sure stopped the tap.
Are these the lifters you are running? Anything special needed to be done to use them? I know alot of guys that complain about the Twin Cam valve train noise, myself included. I plan on the Baisley spring in my bike also.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...FTHxOgodEXcA-g

Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 AM
M&P340
Tourer

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Are these the lifters you are running? Anything special needed to be done to use them? I know alot of guys that complain about the Twin Cam valve train noise, myself included. I plan on the Baisley spring in my bike also.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...FTHxOgodEXcA-g
Yep, them's the ones! My bike is not a high-performance machine, & just couldn't see $150-$250 for S&S, Feuling, Gatermans, etc. Just dropped em in. Didn't worry about oil hole orientation, & didn't oil em first. They tapped just a bit on first fire-up, then quieted down fine after they got pumped up. Only a few hundred mi on em so far, but well satisfied, & no more lifter tap.

BTW, still using the exhaust you sent me. Love it, see no reason to pay $700 for something fancier/noisier.

Also, FYI I have adjustable push rods, & adjusted them to 0.100" initially and there was no tap after pump-up. So far, have not seen the need to extend them to 0.140" to eliminate the tap, as others have reported.

Last edited by M&P340; 03-03-2014 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Just an observation. My understanding is that the Baisley spring increases pressure and as a result, oil flow, but not to the extent that a high-flow pump increases flow.

It seems to me that your pressure is good, but scavenging isn't as good as it could be because the system still limits the overall flow. So, you could be experiencing pressure into the lifters and valves but the oil in front of it is not scavenging back to the pump fast enough to equalize the entire system.

There's nothing wrong with this as it is doing what you want it to do; keeping oil on your lifters and reducing/eliminating backlash and associated noise. The side effect is a spike in pressure as the pressure tries to push oil through orifices that can only handle a limited flow. This is why QC doesn't get as much of a spike; his high-flow pump scavenges the oil back into the system faster and reducing high-pressure spots in the system.

In short, the spring is doing its thing well, but it is front-loading pressure to the backside of the lifter.

You, really anybody, can benefit from a high-flow pump, but the spring is doing a good thing for your motor.

As a side note. My buddy has a Street Glide with SE255 cams but no upgraded cam-plate or pump. I have the same cams, but WITH the SE cam plate and oil pump. Neither one of us has measured oil pressure, but his bike runs hotter and has substantially more top-end noise.

It seems to me that your system and mine have addressed lifter lube/pressure but in different ways.

Last edited by SLV; 03-03-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM
M&P340
Tourer

Originally Posted by SLV
Just an observation. My understanding is that the Baisley spring increases pressure and as a result, oil flow, but not to the extent that a high-flow pump increases flow.

It seems to me that your pressure is good, but scavenging isn't as good as it could be because the system still limits the overall flow. So, you could be experiencing pressure into the lifters and valves but the oil in front of it is not scavenging back to the pump fast enough to equalize the entire system.

There's nothing wrong with this as it is doing what you want it to do; keeping oil on your lifters and reducing/eliminating backlash and associated noise. The side effect is a spike in pressure as the pressure tries to push oil through orifices that can only handle a limited flow. This is why QC doesn't get as much of a spike; his high-flow pump scavenges the oil back into the system faster and reducing high-pressure spots in the system.

In short, the spring is doing its thing well, but it is front-loading pressure to the backside of the lifter.

You, really anybody, can benefit from a high-flow pump, but the spring is doing a good thing for your motor.

As a side note. My buddy has a Street Glide with SE255 cams but no upgraded cam-plate or pump. I have the same cams, but WITH the SE cam plate and oil pump. Neither one of us has measured oil pressure, but his bike runs hotter and has substantially more top-end noise.

It seems to me that your system and mine have addressed lifter lube/pressure but in different ways.
Many thanks! Good info that I had not considered. That would explain the op spikes.

I've had so many problems with my bike (the cops just trashed it) and am so unsure how long it will last, my MO has been to keep it running as cheaply as possible. That's why I never considered the SE hyd plate/pump upgrade nor the gear-drive option (although my crankshaft runnout is 0.002"!). I've already spent 1.7X the original purchase price just in parts (no labor) to keep it running. I could probably never sell it for half what I have in it. I'll probably not consider replacing the pump unless forced to do so.

The scavange side of the pump "looks" OK to my untrained eye, but when I originally got the bike, I pulled the cam chest cover and the inside tensioner had steel pressed against the chain, with bits/pieces of Delrin throughout the cam chest. Why it didn't grenade the pump, I'll never know (but it actually ran pretty good & made no noise!).

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Check - Would Appreciate Thoughts