Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 AM
carjunkie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags

I purchased a 2013 Fat Bob as I liked the styling and the fat front tire. I took the bike on an 1400 mile round trip within months of picking it up. I installed a short fat windshield and soft bags for the trip and never took them off again. The windshield made it much more comfortable at highway speeds and the bags were just too convenient. I figured a fairing would give me better wind deflection during cooler months and give me room to mount a stereo plus I really like the way the Street Glide looked. I almost traded the Bob on a Glide but couldn't justify the cost and loss on the Bob. I really like the way the Street Glide looks going down the highway. So I bought a fairing and some police hardbags and have begun to mock them up on Bob. I though about the Memphis Shades fairing but didn't like the looks and cost. I will probably try to find a way to make everything quick release and I hope to find a way to make it easy to convert back and forth to the twin headlight and single that works with the SG style fairing. I have already mocked up the fairing and started on the hard bags. I also installed rear lowering blocks but I'm not happy with that setup. I have used lots of info from others threads to get me going in the right direction. I'll post some pics and updates as I work through the project.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Interested to see what the short windshield looked like on your bike.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 PM
carjunkie
Cruiser

About the best I have of it on my computer at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags-2013-11-06_19-57-45_391.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 PM
carjunkie
Cruiser

These pictures show the angle of the shock after installing the lowering block. Also shown is the location of the bag using the stock late model Street Glide support bracket. I'm really not liking the position of the shock and the bag as shown. I think I will move the bag/bracket a little farther forward to hide more of the shock. I've seen other conversions with the bag sitting this far back and didn't like the end result though the Fat Bob taillight and fender help everything to look proportionate and flow well. That shock just messes it all up for me at this point. I didn't want to fork over the money for a slammer shock but that might be what I end up doing.

Also shown is the fairing in place. I need to adjust the mocked up brackets to move the fairing back towards the tank a little farther to unshroud the headlight for my tastes. That is a Fat Boy replica headlight bucket with a Harley take off headlight and bulb. I purchased the headlight bucket off of ebay and it's not bad. I also ordered a headlight and bulb from the same person. The headlight they sent was for countries like England or Japan where they drive on the opposite side of the road. I was going to return it but waited too long to hook it up and discover what they had sent. It would have blinded oncoming traffic. I mocked the fairing up with some plastic sheet. I then cut some thin sheet metal I picked up from Lowes using the plastic as a template. Once I have the position correct I will try to find some aluminum sheet to make the final brackets from. I'm using the quick release clamps from my HD windshield to attach the fairing which will make it easy to remove. I plan on using a quick connect plug to power the stereo and connect the turn signals. I was thinking of keeping the stock turn signals in place and making it so I could disable them when the fairing is on. I probably won't do this but it was a thought. I will probably just move them to the lower triple tree and leave them there.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags-img_20140303_211026745.jpg   Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags-img_20140303_212344606.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 PM
carjunkie
Cruiser

These pics show the relation of the bag to the fender and taillight.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags-img_20140303_213521183.jpg   Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags-img_20140303_213533521.jpg   Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags-img_20140303_210813308.jpg  

Last edited by carjunkie; 03-04-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 PM
gump305
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know about the hard bag, get them painted and they may look better. The lines of the bags just seem too different from the lines of the rear fender. They will be very functional though.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:49 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carjunkie
These pics show the relation of the bag to the fender and taillight.
If you do a search you will find notching the bags is the way to go that will help the bags to flow with the lines of the bags. I took the shorter route because I have time constraints so I bought the pre-notched bags from Cycle-Visions.
Bob

Old 03-05-2014, 06:26 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Some pics of my notch in my bags. I did this with ABS, but after talking with Joe (the powder pro) I am going to redo this with glass for a better fit.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:32 PM
carjunkie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gump305
I don't know about the hard bag, get them painted and they may look better. The lines of the bags just seem too different from the lines of the rear fender. They will be very functional though.

I have debated restoring the original color but will probably go two tone with the Candy Orange and satin black.

I feel the tops of the bags and the slope of the fender actually match just fine. I think it's just that its kind of expected to see a different fender with the hard bags.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM
carjunkie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HYPR
If you do a search you will find notching the bags is the way to go that will help the bags to flow with the lines of the bags. I took the shorter route because I have time constraints so I bought the pre-notched bags from Cycle-Visions.
Bob

I did alot of browsing before buying the parts. I want to keep the rear pegs comfortable for a passenger and match up to the rear fender. I just don't like the shocks showing that much. I may have to add covers like a Street Glide as a future project. I do want to tuck them tighter the way several posters have done.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Fairing and Hard Bags