Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Ignition Relocation Plan

Old 03-06-2014, 06:37 PM
MiniMe1969
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Ignition Relocation Plan

Thanks to reviewing a number of threads on this forum, I now have a plan to relocate the ignition from the neck to the dash on my 2007 FXDL/Low Rider.

I have purchased the parts for a FXDWG Dash (2010 or later). Couldn't find one on Ebay, so I bought one new. They retail for $304 (for just the dash, not including the other parts). Got it for $185 at the New Castle PA HD dealership internet sales.

Ok, from the other posts, everything should fit, and I will just need to extend the ignition wiring (even found a threat outlining the exact pieces to purchase to make this).

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if the ignition mount attaches to the dash, or the tank?

2. So my wiring harness section that goes from the neck up into my stock low rider console has a speedo and a tach connector. In theory, I am thinking that if I get a console harness section from an earlier Street Bob, I should be able to plug and play...thus having a connection for the speedo and the indicator lights. Anyone have any experience with this type of swap?

For anyone looking, once I get done, yes, the Low Rider dash (wrinkle black) and tach will go up for sale on this forum.

Any insight would be appreciated.

r/ Chris (my daughter wanted the icon, I drew the line at the little kitty)

Old 03-06-2014, 07:15 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 PM
MiniMe1969
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appreciate it. Saw a lot of this info, but had to go to multiple threads to find it.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:53 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely will be doing this soon. Thanks for the link!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 PM

how hard it is to switch out the ignition switch to one using a regular key instead of the barrel key?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignition switch mounts to dash.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 PM
jwguns
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiniMe1969
Thanks to reviewing a number of threads on this forum, I now have a plan to relocate the ignition from the neck to the dash on my 2007 FXDL/Low Rider.

I have purchased the parts for a FXDWG Dash (2010 or later). Couldn't find one on Ebay, so I bought one new. They retail for $304 (for just the dash, not including the other parts). Got it for $185 at the New Castle PA HD dealership internet sales.

Ok, from the other posts, everything should fit, and I will just need to extend the ignition wiring (even found a threat outlining the exact pieces to purchase to make this).

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if the ignition mount attaches to the dash, or the tank?

2. So my wiring harness section that goes from the neck up into my stock low rider console has a speedo and a tach connector. In theory, I am thinking that if I get a console harness section from an earlier Street Bob, I should be able to plug and play...thus having a connection for the speedo and the indicator lights. Anyone have any experience with this type of swap?

For anyone looking, once I get done, yes, the Low Rider dash (wrinkle black) and tach will go up for sale on this forum.

Any insight would be appreciated.

r/ Chris (my daughter wanted the icon, I drew the line at the little kitty)
The ignition switch is mounted to the dash, with HD part# 71766-08. You will also need 4 self tapping screws. Part # 71989-08 is the nameplate for the ignition switch. Hope this helps.