Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start Up is Lagging

Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Start Up is Lagging

Question for the forums -
The last couple weeks my FXDF has been lagging a little bit when firing up. It seems to have a slow "wub wub wub wub wub - START. Sometimes it's only a few times but other times it goes on for 8-10 seconds before it fires up. First thought was the battery but I put it on the battery tender and it was almost fully charged. It's not due for services and while the weather has been a little cold it's been doing it more when starting up after I get back on it when it's already run a few miles to warm up (like out running errands). Temps have been in the mid 40s to 50s so my next thought was spark plugs.

Probably a really simple question but the service manual helpful so I'm asking. If it's a simple maintenance issue please tell me so I can get on it. Thanks!

clown

Old 03-06-2014, 09:52 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Clown Shoes
Question for the forums -
The last couple weeks my FXDF has been lagging a little bit when firing up. It seems to have a slow "wub wub wub wub wub - START. Sometimes it's only a few times but other times it goes on for 8-10 seconds before it fires up. First thought was the battery but I put it on the battery tender and it was almost fully charged. It's not due for services and while the weather has been a little cold it's been doing it more when starting up after I get back on it when it's already run a few miles to warm up (like out running errands). Temps have been in the mid 40s to 50s so my next thought was spark plugs.

Probably a really simple question but the service manual helpful so I'm asking. If it's a simple maintenance issue please tell me so I can get on it. Thanks!

clown
Original battery? It *is* 3 years old. Sounds like it's getting a little long in the tooth.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser

Hmm I guess it has been 3 years already. Think that's it?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have heard of this before when bike is warm, people fixed it by hitting start without waiting for the fuel pump to prime, ie hit run then start straight away. Worth a try, let us know the results.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like the battery to me too. One way to tell though put it on a multi-tester.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by grumble
Original battery? It *is* 3 years old. Sounds like it's getting a little long in the tooth.

I would remove, clean and re-tighten the cable connections ON BOTH ENDS just to make sure they were making good contact first, but yeah. Sounds like battery time.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if temps are in 40 t0 50 range then that's what it is. a 3 year old battery should be plenty fine.If you go on an errand and stop fifteen minutes later it is still cold and the battery hasn't had time to recharge either. i would keep the tender on it whenever it's not in use wait for the warm weather before throwing money and solutions on it.
Just my 2 cents

Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser

Thanks, guys. I'll keep a close eye on how it runs the next few weeks. I took the battery off the tender last night and it fired up immediately all day today but the temps were easily into the mid 50's today as opposed to what it's been like recently. Thanks again for the input.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Forget the light on the Battery Tender being solid green. Voltage may be fine, but you're battery is getting close to the point where it won't have sufficient cold cranking amps to start the bike.

If the connections are good and the battery is 3+ years old, start thinking about getting a new battery. Better than finding yourself stranded with a dead battery.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My last battery showed charged on the tender. Put a volt meter across the posts when starting it. I can't remember the exact voltage that it shouldn't drop down to but I believe it's like 9.6 or 10 volts or near there. If it does, get a new battery.