Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 FXDL outdated - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM
coppertop666
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '04 FXDL outdated - need opinions

Hey All,

Been in the bagger scene recently and since then have really neglected my poor dyna to the point that I am selling it however, I am rethinking that and was thinking of giving it a makeover instead.

It's a wide glide conversion and while the styling was still "in" 10 years ago, I feel its in need of a change/TLC. I don't have the budget to go too crazy and would like to keep some of the things I like about the bike (exhaust, 21" wheel, etc) but I am open for suggestions.

My thoughts were:

14" WO614 Outlawz (chrome)

front end is 4" over stock tubes so was thinking of going back to stock height and maybe even 1" lower than that

stock dyna rear fender and possibly cutting back (bobber)

lowering rear an inch or so

replacing the solid rear wheel with stock spoke

ditching bullet headlight and going with stock style

changing misc. items also like grips, pegs, etc.

Here is the bike as it sits now

Thoughts?

Last edited by coppertop666; 03-07-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I think it looks good. The apes would be a good fit. I wouldn't spend the cash on a wheel, but spend it on grips, pegs, levers and mirrors.

I'd bet fresh paint would spark your enthusiasm for the bike.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

honestly you have alot of chrome. i would keep the tins the same color, that is getting hard to find now, from there i would use gloss black and that color match silver in your stripe to black out or color some of that chrome, personally i would leave the motor, case covers, and pipe chome so it really pops under that black tank, and then black out the rest. lower and recess that headlight a bit to get it into the trees a bit more. you can then pretty much black out or use silver on all the stock alum color like the lowers and levers... black out the trees, lowers, rear fender struts, coat the dash gloss so it blends a bit more.. do the battery and fuse boxes in black so they vanish. sharp bike would be really simple to change things up

i know it is a softail ST however it does have alot of the same body lines. we have been doing this part by part for a buddy of mine

Old 03-07-2014, 02:52 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you go back to stock for length? That 4'' over setup you have looks pretty good. I'm considering longer forks more a little more ground clearance, as well as 12.6'' shocks.

I think your bike looks badass, though a tad too chromy.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Its hard to beat black and chrome. But if you were going do a paint job other than black, i would lose some of the chrome and go with black grips, pegs, etc. Just my opinion though

Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i rather like that bike the way it is. lose some chrome give it a new paint job and upgrade the suspension if you havent already.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:00 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do something with that ugly rear fender and loose some chrome ... perfect

Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 736 Posts

Kinda hard to mess with Perfection but you can clean it up a bit. Polish the sliders - low $$$ output vs powder coat or chrome and looks great. I would change over to Wideglide mini apes - not too high and very comfortable. Ya got passenger pegs but no seat - Mustang Regal Duke for sure. Looks great and feels even better after a 500 mile day. As for the front brake - black ss braided brake line, it will give a better stopping power and look at home with the OEM black control cables. Look for a chrome Lowrider dash to top it off. Black n Chrome - as clean as it gets, and never goes out of style.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yow, looks like someone bastardized my Black '04 FXDL with red trim. At least now I know how a few things would look on my bike. I dislike your rear fender and the tiny headlight in the wide glide front end. For the things I like: I've been thinking of buying that exact AC cover, wish I could find that battery storage bag at a reasonable price, and love the spoked front wheel.

Course I'm old school, like chrome, and think the "full blackout" look is overdone. We've got enough black on these bikes as is with the black tank, seat, fenders, engine covers, frame, tires, etc. I've added a Mustang two-up seat (I think Fastback), an old school sissy bar with felt Bar & Shield emblem on back and Bar & Shield pad up front, luggage rack, pegs and grips. The previous owner added chrome console, regulator cover, lower belt cover, upgraded mirrors, etc. I'd like to merge the best of your bike with the best of mine.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM
butch patrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rear fender needs to go for sure.

Quick Reply: '04 FXDL outdated - need opinions