Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FXDWG exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:51 PM
My2013Dyna
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 FXDWG exhaust question

Hello guys,

I bought a 13 dyna wide glide last year and have always wanted to add pipes to it. I could only afford slip ons for the first season until recently. So I came across a guy wanting to buy a 2012 dyna same color and the whole thing. He was complaining that the only thing holding him back was the rinehart full exhaust was too loud. So I said I'd trade my stock for his pipes. Left my number at the dealer and received a call from him a day later wanting to trade.

We made the trade and I went to put the pipes on and was struggling with getting them to fit. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there something I should know about after removing the stock pipes? They are nice pipes but almost seem slightly too big to fit into the head. Was going to lightly sand that way they were snug still avoiding leaks and all.

I've researched the models to make sure they'd be the right ones and it says 2010-14 year wise. I'm all ears guys. Both bikes have only about 1k on them.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 PM
ShooterUSMVMC
Novice

They should just bolt right up. When you say too big what do you mean? Could you post a picture?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

I would hold off on the sanding part for a bit. Is there a Part number somewhere on the pipes to confirm they will fit yours? Is there some gasket maker stuff that needs to be scraped off?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My2013Dyna
Hello guys,

I bought a 13 dyna wide glide last year and have always wanted to add pipes to it. I could only afford slip ons for the first season until recently. So I came across a guy wanting to buy a 2012 dyna same color and the whole thing. He was complaining that the only thing holding him back was the rinehart full exhaust was too loud. So I said I'd trade my stock for his pipes. Left my number at the dealer and received a call from him a day later wanting to trade.

We made the trade and I went to put the pipes on and was struggling with getting them to fit. Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there something I should know about after removing the stock pipes? They are nice pipes but almost seem slightly too big to fit into the head. Was going to lightly sand that way they were snug still avoiding leaks and all.

I've researched the models to make sure they'd be the right ones and it says 2010-14 year wise. I'm all ears guys. Both bikes have only about 1k on them.
They should fit. Sounds like you have 2 gaskets stacked. Check to make sure all the gasket is off the pipe and out of the exhaust port on the jugs. Get some new Screaming Eagle gaskets as well. They should be a snug fit but not a fight. Using old gaskets can cause exhaust leaks. Pics of the Pipes and the Ports on the jugs would really help. I would not touch them with sandpaper.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:39 AM
My2013Dyna
Stage IV

Awesome guys. Yeah there seems to be some metallic type stuff in the jug. Maybe some sort if gasket. I thinks it's pretty soft stuff maybe like some sort of sealant when put on by factory. As I tried to put the pipes on you could see that I was fighting with the pipe to the jug and there were some little little nicks which makes me think the it was a sealant because I wasn't rough with it. I will grab some gaskets from Harley as well this week. Will try to get a pic. This is a solo installation on my part. No extra hands to help unfortunately.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Originally Posted by My2013Dyna
Awesome guys. Yeah there seems to be some metallic type stuff in the jug. Maybe some sort if gasket. I thinks it's pretty soft stuff maybe like some sort of sealant when put on by factory. As I tried to put the pipes on you could see that I was fighting with the pipe to the jug and there were some little little nicks which makes me think the it was a sealant because I wasn't rough with it. I will grab some gaskets from Harley as well this week. Will try to get a pic. This is a solo installation on my part. No extra hands to help unfortunately.
Some people use RTV and other sorts of gasket making goop. They believe it makes a better seal. Everyone has their own opinion. Just trying getting all that junk off there and then getting some new gaskets. Should bolt right up. Good luck. Ask a buddy to come help you out, would be easier with another set of hands.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

that material inside the exhaust port is the factory exhaust seals they are a tapered seal. just take a curved pick a hook the corner of seal and pull out.
get these seals from dealer screaming eagle # 17048-98 they are a flat seal which match up to your exhaust on stock heads . if any head work is done these seals are the best don't block the ports are made by novello innovations #DS173226 can be bought by any drag specialties dealer.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by target64
that material inside the exhaust port is the factory exhaust seals they are a tapered seal. just take a curved pick a hook the corner of seal and pull out.
get these seals from dealer screaming eagle # 17048-98 they are a flat seal which match up to your exhaust on stock heads . if any head work is done these seals are the best don't block the ports are made by novello innovations #DS173226 can be bought by any drag specialties dealer.
^ this