Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to upgrade FXDB suspension... Which set up?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to upgrade FXDB suspension... Which set up?!

I have been reading threads nonstop over the weekend, but still have a few questions about suspension set up. Looking to upgrade on my FXDB here in the next couple weeks since riding season is FINALLY coming around here in mid MO.

First debate is between Burly or Progressive. I do want to lower the front end a bit, but for the back I want it to look good AND ride good. My fear is slamming it too much. Here in mid MO not all our roads are smooth and we have some nice bumps going in an out of my residential and work area. So I dont want to bottom out.

If progressive is the way to go, is there really a huge difference between the 412 and the 444 series..? Whats the best length to go with for ride and style? If it helps... I am 6'3" 220lbs with the occasional 140lbs (guessing, Im not dumb enough to ask) passenger.

Lastly... is there a difference between the Progressive fork lowering kit and the Progressive "drop in" fork lowering kit..? Im reading that the install is as simple as taking off the handle bars and doing the switch. But my riding buddy, who also works for the local Harley dealership, says the forks have to be disassembled. Just looking for some more insight before I bite off an expensive project.

Would appreciate any feedback. Looking to purchase new suspension this week alone with my LeatherPros bags and have a big install weekend soon.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the years I've had two different kinds of Progressives on my '01 FXD. Don't recall the model number of the first set, the second were 440s.
I currently have Ohlins that I got from Motorcycle Metal. They are the lower end set with reservoirs, preload adjustable only. They are far superior to either set of the Progressives and well worth the extra money. I really didn't imagine the bike could ride that good in the rear end.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

man it really depends on what type of riding you want to do that will determine the set up of your bike.
you can slam it down and go low and slow. looks cool but you will scrape and bottom out a bit. fun for around town. not for me.
you can set it up tall so it will suck up all the bumps, give you more cornering clearances and will take the passenger weight also. great for road trips too. how i roll.
to each their own. they're both cool.
in my opinion, brakes and suspension are hugely important. like joe.s said ohlins are a great shock and i want to upgrade to those one day soon. currently run progressive rears.
up front i run progressive springs and race tech gold vales. best bang for the buck type upgrade for me. i have done it on all my bikes.
one question, you being 6'3'', why lower the front? you want a slammed bike i guess?

Old 03-10-2014, 04:44 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

You should title your thread "I want to downgrade my suspension". Slam it and then buy another bike for when you actually want to ride somewhere besides the local bar or bike night.

I have Ohlins on my 'Bob. I like the look I get when I tell people the stock shocks sucked. They have $2000 in an exhaust , air cleaner, and tuner running the stock shocks. They also usually have few miles on their bike too.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 AM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gus4440
You should title your thread "I want to downgrade my suspension". Slam it and then buy another bike for when you actually want to ride somewhere besides the local bar or bike night.

I have Ohlins on my 'Bob. I like the look I get when I tell people the stock shocks sucked. They have $2000 in an exhaust , air cleaner, and tuner running the stock shocks. They also usually have few miles on their bike too.
I disagree .... I have slammed all my bikes and did many miles on them. Many old timers from way back also. A lot of rigid frames and spring seats to this day put on the 400 mile trips.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Rasconzo
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldlefty
man it really depends on what type of riding you want to do that will determine the set up of your bike.
you can slam it down and go low and slow. looks cool but you will scrape and bottom out a bit. fun for around town. not for me.
you can set it up tall so it will suck up all the bumps, give you more cornering clearances and will take the passenger weight also. great for road trips too. how i roll.
to each their own. they're both cool.
in my opinion, brakes and suspension are hugely important. like joe.s said ohlins are a great shock and i want to upgrade to those one day soon. currently run progressive rears.
up front i run progressive springs and race tech gold vales. best bang for the buck type upgrade for me. i have done it on all my bikes.
one question, you being 6'3'', why lower the front? you want a slammed bike i guess?
I am open to brands for the rear, really just want them to be black. I wouldnt mind it being a bit lower, but really I am looking for better ride quality and dont want to scrap.

For the front... Well... Figured since I am doing the back why not? Maybe that is dumb logic. I am a bigger guy, but didnt know if by lowering the back a bit the front would look out of balance not being lowered as well. This is my first bike.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I went with the HD screamin eagle style shocks which were take offs from a FXDSE.. I love 'em.. They have a heavy meaty look... They ride me (6'1" 250) and my ol' lady (5'3" 128) also with a heavy travel bag at times , or just me around, perfectly. I wouldnt have anything else..

Last edited by Frank Castle; 03-10-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:38 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowering your suspension will not help it. Progressive is not really the way to go unless you just can't afford anything else.

What is your budget for the front and back? That in itself will dictate how good it will be.

I have alomost 700 bucks in my rear shocks and just over 300 in the front...it's a different bike and I didn't spend top dollar.

There are a few options for quality shocks...Olin, JRI, Ricor, works, plus some I'm forgetting.

For the front, the best combo that a lot of us are doing on our dyna's are traxxion staright rate springs and ricor intimidators. If you wanted to stay under 200 bucks for the front...drop in some ricor intimidators and some 10w amzoil shock therapy. That one mod will totally change the way your front end reacts.

I'm using ricor 12.5" sport tuned shcoks on the rear and love them but that is not the only option.

Suspension upgrades are not plug and play. You have to play with it to get it just right for your weight. If you not willing to put in the time then just leave it stock

Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't worry about these guys. I been riding slammed 4 seasons and my progressive suspension is not uncomfortable. Its my bare bones seat.

For this year, I went with Arnotts air ride. Now I can jack my bike up for the curves and slam it down when I park it or anywhere between.

My Progressive 412s will be for sale cheap. The dropin fronts is what u want. Just pop the shock nuts off the top, pull out stock springs, and drop in progressive.

Burly is just rebranded progressive for less money.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Foxknuckle
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i just went from "slammed" shocks to some jri "a" series shocks. This is the best upgrade I've done. they are 12" and the ride is amazing compared to progressives.

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade FXDB suspension... Which set up?!