Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose brake and throttle cable bob?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 11:05 PM
StFrancis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose brake and throttle cable bob?

Took the 10' Street bob out today and had a great ride. I noticed that where the clutch and throttle cables attach to the grip they seem loose or floppy. I can see the previous owner must have had different grips on and switched back to stock before he sold it because the torx bolts around the grips are a little scuffed up. Brake and throttle work fine but just by the feel of them. No noticeable issues just a observation- should the be fairly tight or looser?

Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 PM
StFrancis
Advanced

Here's a picture

Attached Thumbnails Loose brake and throttle cable bob?-20140309_230302.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the cables are adjustable. The clutch should have about 1/8" of slack and the throttle should basically have known if I remember correctly. The service manual has all the specs and procedures in it. If you do not have a service manual it is highly recommended that you get one as it will be just as important as any other tool that you have in your tool box.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Without going into a bunch of details, I know exactly what you mean, and this is normal. When the throttle is a rest, both cables will be a little "loose". Same applies to the clutch cable. There shouldn't be excessive slop, but all the cables will seem a little loose and you can move them some when they are at rest (no throttle and hand off the clutch).
Seems normal from what you describe.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 AM
StFrancis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Without going into a bunch of details, I know exactly what you mean, and this is normal. When the throttle is a rest, both cables will be a little "loose". Same applies to the clutch cable. There shouldn't be excessive slop, but all the cables will seem a little loose and you can move them some when they are at rest (no throttle and hand off the clutch).
Seems normal from what you describe.
Perfect. Thanks for the replies- the brake lever itself has the right amount of play and the throttle seems right too. I just don't remember them being so wobbly on my 07 Bob.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StFrancis
Perfect. Thanks for the replies- the brake lever itself has the right amount of play and the throttle seems right too. I just don't remember them being so wobbly on my 07 Bob.
My '07 Sporty's cables seems tighter too & this was one of the first things I noticed when I bought this bike new. I even had the dealer check the cables before I ever got on it to ride it home because it concerned me. They explained it to me, and showed me that all the other bikes on the showroom floor were all the exact same way...normal.
No worries....if you feel there is too much slack in the throttle cable, you can always adjust, which is very simple.