Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM
1stHD_95FXDWG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel mounting

I just got a new rear tire mounted on my rear wheel for my 95FXDWG, It was easy to get the rear wheel off.

But I just want to know if there is anything specific i need to make sure of or pay attention too...etc. when putting the rear wheel back on......

And lastly do the rear wheel need to be balanced after mounting the new tire on the wheel?

My dad(Vehicle/ Diesel Mechanic) who's rode harley's for years and did all his own work said he never balanced his rear wheel, what do you guys think?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

No special procedures, make sure the spacers go back to original location. Wanna learn a trick? The axle seizes all the time, apply gear oil(not motor oil)on the axle shaft, it will help next removal.

You should balance the wheel, unless you use tire beads or ride-on. I have installed front and rear tires recently, not balanced. No vibration whatsoever. Your old man said no rear tire balance because you will not feel the vibration on the handlebar, less noticeable compare to front.

Originally Posted by 1stHD_95FXDWG
I just got a new rear tire mounted on my rear wheel for my 95FXDWG, It was easy to get the rear wheel off.

But I just want to know if there is anything specific i need to make sure of or pay attention too...etc. when putting the rear wheel back on......

And lastly do the rear wheel need to be balanced after mounting the new tire on the wheel?

My dad(Vehicle/ Diesel Mechanic) who's rode harley's for years and did all his own work said he never balanced his rear wheel, what do you guys think?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

Only have jack up as much that the wheel is just off the ground, use a dowel or something to put in left side to hold spacer in place and then you do right side and slide axle through

I not sure if wheels really need to be balanced

Thanks
Mirrmu