Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black fork wrap issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black fork wrap issues.....

Ok I've got the upper vinyl wrap done looks great on my dyna. I'm not able to afford powder coating so I thought I'd use this vinyl wrap on the lower telescopics. Here's my concern.....the lower part goes into the shock area where the fork seals are and of course the fluid. Once I wrapped the lwer telescopic forks I got on the bike and afterwards I noticed fluid on the black wrapped forks. Now I know I've seen fluid on my forks before and yeah I suppose ypu would since it passes through the seals and into the fluid, so I'm sure it's common....but I'm not sure if I'm noticing more now because the vinyl wrap is on and it's more visible than the shiny uncovered forks, or is it possible there's more fluid because the vinyl is making the seals leak?

Has anyone else wrapped the lower forks and if so is it safe or is it going to damage the seals and make it leak......or am I just imagining things and is the fluid I'm seeing normal and just noticeable cuz it's black.

Should I remove it or leave it alone? Here's a pic too. I gotta admit it looks cool. Hoping I can keep it.

Attached Thumbnails Black fork wrap issues.....-image.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
R_Einan (04-25-2020)
Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 PM
STREET BOB JOE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna do the same to my upper forks. Lowers I went with boots. That's what I would recommend.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Do not wrap the lower fork tube It will damage the seals and cause them to leak. Those seals are made to fit tight to the diameter of the fork leg. If you have ran with those wraps on there, I'm guessing you have already damaged the seals. Time for new fork seals!

Last edited by EricInNCa; 03-10-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
If you have ran with those wraps on there, I'm guessing you have already damaged the seals. Time for new fork seals!
Yeah..... That ^

Should have posted here before going that route. We would have told you that it's a no go....

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe that vinyl didn't peel off when the front end compressed must be pretty tough stuff. But yea go peel that off before you put any more miles on it, you'll be lucky if you didn't waste your seals. Good news is you can PC those lowers when you pull them apart for new seals. I think fork boots are like $40 if you wanna cover up those tubes

Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I'm guessing your fork seals are shot, can't do anything to the lowers other than gaiters/boots.

Replace your fork seals and get some boots for the lowers while you have them apart replacing the seals.