Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New frame options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New frame options?

My salvage 2007 TC96 6-speed Low Rider is a little bent. Left down tube is pushed in about an inch at the voltage regulator and the steering head has about a 10* left twist to it. I knew about the down tube but didn't expect 10* in the neck. Looks like I'm in the market for a replacement frame.

I simply want a replacement frame and not another less bent salvage piece. I don't want a 6 over 4 rigid and I don't want a custom softail frame. I really don't want to pay even wholesale for an OEM H-D part number frame.

My son is a 15yr body man with a big, shiney new frame rack in a new Ford dealership body shop. We both think the downtube pull is nothing but we differ on the ability to correct the twist in the steering tube. Because of this, I need to look at new frame options before gambling $300-$500 in dealership rack time.

Pauncho - I find nothing but custom chopper frames and nothing close to a traditional, stock style design.
Kraft-Tech - About the same but with their forte' in softails. Any FXR note was to the original 80's and 4-speeds.
H-D - If I take the bullet, all I'm getting is just another ordnary frame for retail replacement price.

Is there anybody out there doing updated/upgraded/race frames for the FX and expecially for the current the '07+ 6-speeds? You know, I'd willingly pay for a track or strip inspired upgraded/modern FXR design than spend more on a box stock HD frame.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes. Dyna options suck. But, a new HD frame could be powder coated in any color you like, and you could install a Sputhe or True Track during the build (allowing you to clean up the mount while you're at it.)

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

How much does a replacement OEM frame go for anyway?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I meant to add this link.
http://www.rollingthunderframes.com/whatsnew.html

They have a Dyna Bagger frame and an FXRP frame that accepts the TC motor.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 AM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ronnies oem parts shows the frame part # as 47463-06BHP
no price listed but when i look up my bike, a 10 wide glide, they sell them for 1,956.01 and it shows in dealership price being 2,356.64

Old 03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

That right in there with what I'm finding as well. You know 2k isn't really bad for what would be practically a brand new/fully reconditioned all OEM bike but then again, its still TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. ( actually, $2,498.42 at MSRP plus 6% Ky tax)

Also, you know my real cost of frame replacement is the damn time and trouble to chage EVERYTHING over. Then I have to remember to budget say another 10%/$250 for all the little stuff I'll find that needs to be fixed/rebuilt/replaced too while changing over.

Is it just that the FX gets no frame love or is it just the '07+ 6-speed that hasn't gotten old enough yet?
Is the aftermarket demand just for real hardtails and hardtail lookalikes?

Last edited by Mr Bentwrench; 03-11-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 AM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may price the specific part # rather then using the price from a different bike, i was just using that as a reference, hopefully it would be somewhat cheaper.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

MSRP $2,356 less 10% plus 6% KY tax

I have to strip the frame bare, take it in to the Dealer, they cut the neck off and send it to HD. HD commissions a new frame and stamps it with the original VIV, adds the properly keyed lock set as well as a complete set of original factory stickers and decals. Takes about 4-6 weeks depepending upon frame production demand. Damn! That's almost a brand new f'n bike right there with no excuses, ifs and or buts... but still a branded 'Rebuilt' title here in KY. Budget real 30 day FMV at 50-70% of high retail book when complete to flip or just keep it and ride the wheels of of it like I had planned.

No way around giving up the frame to HD and being left with a giant pile of parts for weeks. Should be fun remembering exactly where every little nut bolt & washer goes. Guess a FPM is required now too. Damn, no way to do a side by side change over. Crap.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just ghost ride that thing off a bridge or something and call your insurance company. lol

Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Twin Cam FXR frame

This would be MY course. Although, you need a FL trans and primary.....

Good luck either way.

Chase

Quick Reply: New frame options?