Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Bar Install - Should I pay HD to do it?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 PM
STREET BOB JOE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Bar Install - Should I pay HD to do it?

So I've ordered my 12" west coast t-bars and I am trying to decide if I want to try and tackle the install or have Harley do it. 2014 Street Bob. I think I could do it but after doing the front turn signal relocation and taking apart the rear signals to paint them I don't know if I want to deal with the frustration of wiring and **** again.

Local dealer (Chandler AZ) wants 4 hours labor for the install. That's $440! Parts guys says its money well spent but I don't know. Sucks to shell out that much after spending almost $300 on the bars.

I am handy enough for basic wrenching but the wiring stuff makes me hesitant. Any input for guys who have done this already? Or is there anyone local who would want to come help with it and I'll toss you some bucks?

Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
ScudRunner
Cruiser

I did my bars myself. It was a very simple process, following along with the service manual, and the instructions for the H-D mini apes (those aren't what I installed, but the instructions had some good info). I did not have to depin my connectors to pull the wiring out of the old bars and run it through the new bars.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:40 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Hell no, you can do it brother. Not too bad. There are plenty of threads and people here to help if you need advise!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Crustysalmon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my own on my 14 street bob. The process is so much easier with the new,smaller connectors that go through the bars without removing pins. Admittedly, the western bars I put on dont have as sharp a bend as t bars would but take a bit of care and patience and they should go through. I used the vacuum method to suck a piece of strong ribbon through and pulled the wires through with that.

$440 labour is insane. It took me a few hours, but it was my first time, I was re-reading instructions and taking photos to verify connectors etc...If I did it again with a few lessons learnt, I reckon I could do it about an hour/hour and a half max. Save your money.

Westerns with a mild bend....

Old 03-11-2014, 08:51 PM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Save yourself $440 and do it yourself. It's not that hard. Take your time and be patient.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
STREET BOB JOE
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ScudRunner
I did my bars myself. It was a very simple process, following along with the service manual, and the instructions for the H-D mini apes (those aren't what I installed, but the instructions had some good info). I did not have to depin my connectors to pull the wiring out of the old bars and run it through the new bars.
This is good to know. I think if I don't have to depin the connectors I will be comfortable tackling it. I have a service manual and have managed to do everything else to the bike in my garage so far. I think I'll do it.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Crustysalmon;

[IMG
http://i1030.photobucket.com/albums/y368/crustysalmon/20140209_183845_zpslpddbfjr.jpg[/IMG]
Do it yourself, you get to keep $440 bucks, and Crusty has a nice looking bike!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Crustysalmon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Do it yourself, you get to keep $440 bucks, and Crusty has a nice looking bike!
Thank you.

These charcoal pearls are catching on. Glad i was buying in the 14 model year.its a great departure from past colour choices.

Is charcoal pearl the new denim black ?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:46 PM
JMummery
Road Captain

Ill do it for half the price....hell to the no for Harley to do it... do it your self... Just screws and bolts holding everything on. I did the road 6 customs by myself in under 2 hours.. I used soldering wire from grips down the tubes and wrapped them around the wire connector and slowly pulled/pushed them up the two bends. That was the hardest part, getting the connector through two bends but go slow and you'll manage just fine..just make sure to lock tight everything screw/bolt when you got it all back together..

Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. I had the same issue a couple months ago. Wiring made me really uneasy so I put a message up here offering beer and pizza for some help and got it done. Learned a lot, too but I think I hate wiring even more hahaha. There are so many resources out there to help you and it really is one of the simpler mods. You'll be good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-Bar Install - Should I pay HD to do it?