Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Front Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM
twfurst
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Front Master Cylinder?

Weather was BEAUTIFUL here yesterday, mid 60s. Managed to get out on the bike for a ride of more than around the block. Definitely can feel some more power after doing the pipes. When I got home I noticed that there was some fluid spray on my throttle cable adjuster covers, and the back of the mirror. It looked like it is brake fluid, coming from around where the brake lever meets the piston on the MC. I'm just wondering if I should be looking at rebuilding the MC, and if so, has anyone done it? Is it easy, hard?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Are you sure it's not coming from the MC cover? Make sure it doesn't get on any painted surfaces.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts

I've rebuilt a few of them. It's too easy if you have the FM.

You sure your brake line, and MC cover are tight.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My MC was leaking when I bought my bike. I bled the system and installed a new seal and it's been good since.

Sure it's not just bug juice?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
twfurst
Advanced

Going to double/triple check the cover and line for tightness tonight, but pretty sure they are good. Also going to begin reading in the manual on rebuilding it and whatnot, just in case.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The gasket is designed to breath (small hole and groove on the top), mine was leaking (actually just seeping around the lid) when I first bougth the bike. So I carefully unscrewed the cap, cleaned the rubber gasket and made sure it was set on properly and not popped down... that did the trick, not a leak since.

Last edited by spyderwebb; 03-13-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 PM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. There's no way it stopped leaking. Every single harley I've seen has the master leaking and peeling off. Since I bought my bike this has been a pain. Changed my seal through warranty, but still leaks. Tried really tight, loose, just barely, you name it, it leaks. In my opinion it's the seal itself that has a designs flaw. Where the screw goes in, there isn't enough rubber to seal the break fluid from the amount of vibration the bike gives off. The only way you won't see it leaking is having a chrome master.

Still waiting on a miracle.

About the breathable part, we'll, it's true it needs to breath, but just so air flushes out break fluid between the cap and the gasket itself. While riding, air will flush out break fluid, cleaning the cap.

This is the only defect I've found on my bike, on all Harley's for that matter.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine was leaking so I ordered a new one. Stealership put it on when they were checking something else out. Tech said trick was to just snug up the bolts. Told me if it ever weeps, remove cap, spray down with brake cleaner (both surfaces of gasket), wipe down edge of MC with brake cleaner, let it dry, put back together just snugging bolts.
You know it is too tight if seal starts to bulge out.
Lived by this and have never replaced seal again.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LAFO
Sorry, but I'm not buying it. There's no way it stopped leaking. Every single harley I've seen has the master leaking and peeling off. Since I bought my bike this has been a pain. Changed my seal through warranty, but still leaks. Tried really tight, loose, just barely, you name it, it leaks. In my opinion it's the seal itself that has a designs flaw. Where the screw goes in, there isn't enough rubber to seal the break fluid from the amount of vibration the bike gives off. The only way you won't see it leaking is having a chrome master.

Still waiting on a miracle.

About the breathable part, we'll, it's true it needs to breath, but just so air flushes out break fluid between the cap and the gasket itself. While riding, air will flush out break fluid, cleaning the cap.

This is the only defect I've found on my bike, on all Harley's for that matter.
I actually completely agree. My '13 fat bob MC has leaked since it was new. Tried unscrewing the cap and reseating the gasket with the proper torque but I believe the gasket is slightly too large for the sealing area and it squeezes out too much, causing the leak. My '04 wide glide doesn't leak much, but the gasket is always a little wet looking. Doesn't squeeze out like the fat bob's though. I think they had a very large bad run of gaskets that cause this.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 AM
outlaw16
Cruiser

Mine leaks too. Tried cleaning and replacing the seal to no avail. Fortunately, I'm okay with the "worn, rustic" looking brake cylinder where the brake fluid has corroded the paint. As long as it doesn't get on my tank....

If anyone finds a solution besides changing to a chrome master that would awesome if they posted it.

Quick Reply: Leaky Front Master Cylinder?