Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats, whos gone the DIY route?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:15 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seats, whos gone the DIY route?

yes i know theres some companies and forum sponsors that do amazing work, but im more of a DIY guy in this case for 2 reasons A: cost, B: the coverign material i am going to be using is not legal to be imported into the US * yes its legal here in canada*. anyway whos done there own seat mod's such as foam upgrades recovering etc. got pics? did you get the covers stiched by an upholstery shop or do it your self

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have to ask. What material are you using?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:36 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by SLV
I have to ask. What material are you using?
seal skin.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i have made several seats, the trick after you shave them is to use matting material to smooth them out. I like to start in the middle of the seat and work my way around, get a decent staple gun as you will need it, Seal skin seat will be super dope!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:09 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

im nto so much makign a new seat, i have the OEM seat from my '01 fxd, so i am gonna pull the cover offer shave most of the foam down to repalce with memory foam and shape it to fit my tastes and then make some templates for the seal skin panels and take it all to the local upholstry shop and have them sew the cover up for me then reskin it myself. got 2 manual staplers, and 3 air staplers with adjustable pressure settigns to suit material and staple depth so good there. but thanks for the tip on the smoothign foam will definitly have to use that.

ya your right though the seal skin is gonna look sick as hell. dependign on how good it turns out i might pick up another hide or two to make saddle bag liners as well

Old 03-13-2014, 06:13 PM

I know it's not going to bring the seal back, but seriously I'd be embarrassed to tell someone it's made from seal skin,, that's just not right. I know I'm gonna get blasted from someone by saying that, but IDGAF.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member

Originally Posted by IllusionBlue
I know it's not going to bring the seal back, but seriously I'd be embarrassed to tell someone it's made from seal skin,, that's just not right. I know I'm gonna get blasted from someone by saying that, but IDGAF.
your not gonna get blasted by me man, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to me seal skin is no differnet then aligator, ostrich, snake, horse, cow, stingray or any other natural hide. i know the source of the hides personally and given they are coming from a culture of people that use seals as a primary source of both food, clothing, and income. as i said each to their own, some people dont like seal skin personally for this particular purpose it is an ideal hide in that its naturally more water resistanrt then most hides, and looks good to. some may not like it but i do i also have a tobacco pouch, a pair of mittens and a trapper hat made from the same material

Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

"Save the whales...**** the seals!!!"
-Cheech Marin.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Please sir, please don't make a seat out of me

Attached Thumbnails Seats, whos gone the DIY route?-baby-seal_.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Funny that you bring this up. I was out for a ride today and I was thinking how cool it would be to have a seat covered in human skin. I was thinking like one from somebody all tattoo'ed up, that would be the shiznitz! Like if somebody stated in their will they didn't mind if someone used their skin for it after they're gone.
Nothing weird like using my 1st Ex or anything like that, well...sort of.

What color is the hide and do you end up having to dye it?

Quick Reply: Seats, whos gone the DIY route?