Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overinflated tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM
psidaho
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overinflated tire

In my hurry today to take advantage of a nice day in Idaho I forgot to check my regulator on the compressor and when putting air in my tires I overinflated to 58 psi max cold psi is 42 so over by 16 psi I caught this immediately and corrected the pressure the tires look fine they are basically new 220 miles on them I don't think this to be a big deal what are the thoughts on this

Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

I have serious doubts it did any harm.

Check pressure again tomorrow and if it's good, then I'd say your good.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you didn't ride with the extra pressure if that's the case your golden be gone! Even if you did ride on it as long it doesn't look warped or worn in any way your over-worrying. we do love our babies after all!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
I have serious doubts it did any harm.

Check pressure again tomorrow and if it's good, then I'd say your good.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No big deal. Often protocols call for over inflation to get tire beads to seat. If you run on those tires they would be less flexible and the tire to road contact patch would be very small reducing your traction with the road (feels like riding at 17 deg F!).

The REAL tire damage comes in when you over inflate to much higher pressures or if you run on under inflated tires which overhead and can cause belt-separation and catastrophic failure of the tire. I had this happen at 35 MPH on a Jeep and it wasn't pretty... the belt basically unwrapped from the tire and beat the hell out of the rear license plate and the driver's side of my vehicle -- if I had my elbow or arm out the window like I usually do -- no telling what might have happened to my arm.

BTW, you can see or feel belt separation on the tire -- if you inspect the sidewalls you will see indentations and bulges -- not consistently smooth all the way around.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries. Ride it.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDRod
No big deal. Often protocols call for over inflation to get tire beads to seat. If you run on those tires they would be less flexible and the tire to road contact patch would be very small reducing your traction with the road (feels like riding at 17 deg F!).

The REAL tire damage comes in when you over inflate to much higher pressures or if you run on under inflated tires which overhead and can cause belt-separation and catastrophic failure of the tire. I had this happen at 35 MPH on a Jeep and it wasn't pretty... the belt basically unwrapped from the tire and beat the hell out of the rear license plate and the driver's side of my vehicle -- if I had my elbow or arm out the window like I usually do -- no telling what might have happened to my arm.

BTW, you can see or feel belt separation on the tire -- if you inspect the sidewalls you will see indentations and bulges -- not consistently smooth all the way around.

You are good. Hope you enjoyed that 1 day we had....LOL

Old 04-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Pendepon Demokrat
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone prefer (or tryout) overinflated rear BIAS BELTED dunlop american elite 200/55r17? I am heavy, got heavy bike, ride slowly on nice dry smooth roads so for me generally work pressure 87psi (6 bar) for years. but actually i am using radial belted rear tire that dont groowing with pressure. radials only getting harder and stay with same circuit. now i am thinking buy BIAS belted dunlop american elite 200/55r17 and want to know whether this tire getting groowing circuit with higher inflating pressure. if yes, so would love buy this tire for fatter profile looking and customize mine bike. Bias belted tires are generally known expand in the middle of thread with raise tire pressure and groowing tire circuit one inch for every 10psi. can anyone measure circuit of this tire inflated to 70-90psi? (dont worry, bursting pressure is somewhere betwen 300-500psi). this can help also for others that customize their bikes.. simply 200/55r17 is tallest profile, any 200/60r17 or 200/65r17 in offer anywhere.