Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 PM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Performance clutch

Hello fellas, thanks for reading. I'm looking for opinions on performance clutches, but first let me put all the info out there. The bike is a 2007 street bob and about a year and a half ago I dumped the 96 jugs for a 107, 10:1, ported and polished heads with oversized valves and stiffer springs....I had previously had the intake ported and installed H54 cams along with a SE cam plate and oil pump......ever since the 107 and head work I have noticed an issue that I have been content to deal with in that from 3rd gear on, at high rpms my clutch slips. It's pretty close to where I normally shift anyway so it hasn't really been too much of a hassle but with this issue the engine can't put out the full potential of the build. So, for those that have experience with performance clutches, what are your picks? And why? I'm planning the SE compensator upgrade soon and would do the clutch at the same time. I'm looking for a happy medium between performance and price if that helps. Thanks again

Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I am looking at an Aim http://www.fuelmotousa.com/vp95lt.html with a stock clutch.
For a light pull, and a strong lockup.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:41 PM
JayDRod
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does someone make a "slipper clutch" like the one on the HD VRSC (VRod) for your bike? Very nice clutch design (a multiple plate design) that takes a lot of shock-load out of your drive train and allows incredible throttle-clutch feathering control and hard launches when you want them.

In fact, I don't think I can "chirp" the tires on a downshift even without a throttle blip.

That would be my recommendation -- a performance slipper clutch equivalent to the one on the VRod.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How much torque does it make? Has it been on the dyno? Is there a good spring on it at least? Stock 96" spring slips with a stage 1. Se spring should be fine to about 115ft lbs. But if it's been slipping bad enough for you to hear and feel it for a while the plates could be smoked. I'd put fresh plates in it if they're junk and a se spring, that would be the cheap route. I like my Rivera pro clutch if you want to upgrade. It uses the stock basket and replaces the hub and uses much bigger plates. The silver (medium) spring that it comes with should be plenty to hold that motor and will have a lighter pull than a se spring.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better put in a heavy duty clutch spring. Mine needed it after I went to the 103 big bore and the 204 cams.

Last edited by Jeff's 1st Harley; 03-17-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:43 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vdop
How much torque does it make? Has it been on the dyno? Is there a good spring on it at least? Stock 96" spring slips with a stage 1. Se spring should be fine to about 115ft lbs. But if it's been slipping bad enough for you to hear and feel it for a while the plates could be smoked. I'd put fresh plates in it if they're junk and a se spring, that would be the cheap route. I like my Rivera pro clutch if you want to upgrade. It uses the stock basket and replaces the hub and uses much bigger plates. The silver (medium) spring that it comes with should be plenty to hold that motor and will have a lighter pull than a se spring.
I haven't had it tuned after the work. It's on my to do list. I will try your suggestion to replace the plates and get a stiffer spring. I never had any slipping when it was a 96' with cams and ported intake.