Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not impressed with amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default not impressed with amsoil

5k miles ago, changed all three holes out to amsoil.
What I noticed right away was increased engine noise.
It bothered me and I wondered if the viscosity wasn't right, but it was.
Another thing, the color of the oil after about 2k miles seemed really dirty compared to previous oils.

Anyway, yesterday changed all three holes back to harley syn and immediate improvement in regard to engine noise. Sounds like it used to now.

We drained the amsoil onto one of those rectangular collector pans so we could really see the oil on a larger flat surface to check for any metal or other crap and it was fine, just real dirty looking. However, the trans and primary oil looked really good, just the engine oil was filthy.

I'm sticking with HD syn going forward. I see no benefit in staying with amsoil.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

5000 miles, it's going to change color. Doesn't mean its not doing as it should.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless you used a scavenger system when you change your oil ,there is still about 1/2 qt in the engine ..

Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Man the differences in experiences. I went from stock Dino to syn3 and that made a **** ton of engine noise and I thought something was wrong. Then switched to amsoil and the noise went back down to normal. Any engine oil is going to get filthy fast because of what's left in the motor unless you use an oil scavenger and flush it every oil change. I use to do that and the engine oil barely changed color after 5k miles. I haven't used my oil scavenger in a year or two, but my oil doesn't seem overly filthy with amsoil. I heard mobil 1 was even quieter then amsoil, but I'm happy with amsoil.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah I've been using amsoil for bout 8 yrs ..used hd synth and was noisy as help ..switched to amsoil .quieted things down ..I run synth atf in primary and 70-140 gear oil in the trans ..really smooth ....

Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm with the OP on this one. I ran it for 2 years and went back to Harley oil because I didn't like the excess engine noise. Plus during those 2 years I had to add oil between changes. I never had to do that before Amsoil and I haven't had to do it since I stopped using Amsoil. Seems we all have different experiences.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say that I've ever had a "bad" experience with any oil. I currently have Amsoil in all 3 holes, and I can say that my bike seems to shift smoother than it did with Syn3 & the top end seems quieter. I will continue to use it.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amsoil has a higher detergent level, it will clean more "crud" off of internal components. If you used it for a few changes it would probably come out cleaner after a change or two

Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, interesting all the different experiences on the engine noise.
More detergent explains the dirty looking oil.

I'm still gonna stick with the HD syn though.
thanks for the replies.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 AM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way to really tell how "dirty" your oil is, is to send it out for a UOA. Been running Amsoil for over 10 years, never had an oil issue. To each there own.

Quick Reply: not impressed with amsoil