Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bars delivered tomorrow! Little help plz?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Kustrud
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bars delivered tomorrow! Little help plz?

My bars http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7500234 will be here tomorrow so I had a couple of questions so I can knock this out right after work.

Do I have to replace my grips or should I be able to twist off my old one? I'd like to avoid buying new grips if possible as well as messing with the brass fitting things inside the grips on the right side if I dont have to - PITA.

Second, how do I re-route cables to outside of bars for more clearance? I know they will be long enough but will need to re-route them. Remove headlight and go through there?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The throttle grip slides off and the other one is glued on. You can carefully stick a thin screwdriver between the grip and the bar and keep going around it until it works loose. Some people have luck with shooting compressed air in there. You will need glue to reinstall on the new bars. I would also switch to poly bushings for the 9" bars.

I really don't think your going to have any cable issues since you have 7" of pullback. The bars will probably come in close to stock but just a little higher.

If you want to cheat, you can dangle your old bars from the ceiling and just slide off the throttle side and reslide onto the new bars. Make sure you put in a little paper spacer in the pivot space of the front brake. There are micro switches on both sides that break really easy.

Don't be in too big of a hurry or you'll screw something up. Should be pretty easy since you are not doing internal wiring inside the bars...but that would have looked much cleaner.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

if you can get an air line under the rubber grip you can blow it right off as well, i do this pretty often. to re route, your going to want to remove the cables from the lever and just ensure you have smooth bends and clean range of motion in your steering

Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Kustrud
Tourer

Gotcha - sounds easy enough! What do you mean in the pivot space of the front brake?? Drawing a blank here - can you help so I dont break it!?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

He's talking about the space between your brake lever and the lever housing. Specifically, the gap between the two as you pull the brake lever. As you pull the brake, the lever triggers a microswitch in the housing that trips the brake like circuit. Those microswitches have been broken by many of us in the past, hence his warning to be careful...

That help?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Kustrud
Tourer

Hmm...I get that and how it works, but how would putting a piece of paper between the lever and housing do anything?? Clearly confused here...

Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Do yourself a favor and put a couple of towels over your tank- the bars will swing down and hit it.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Kustrud
Tourer

Towels already there my friend, and thanks! Now they wont be delivered till tomorrow! Im going to go ahead and remove the old ones and everything else tonight and re-route anything that needs to be. Ill try and get some pics so maybe this can help someone...

Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 AM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh yeah, put the throttle tube/grip on the new bars BEFORE you bolt them in. Don't ask me how I know that....

Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Kustrud
Tourer

Gotcha - thanks!