Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FuelPak FP3 *Very* Short-term Use Review

Old 03-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FuelPak FP3 *Very* Short-term Use Review

Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone was thinking about getting the new FP3.

I decided to take a risk on a new product and ordered one this weekend for my '14 SB. Just got it in the mail today and so far, so good. Install couldn't possibly be easier and the Android OS app interface was a very good touch IMO. From opening the box to start-up was only about 10 minutes. Half that time was spent waiting on my slow connection (my wireless router is too far from the garage).

It's cold and rainy here today so I was only able to start it up and let it idle for a minute instead of giving a true road test. Throttle response seemed very much improved by what I could tell from blipping the throttle. Idle seemed smoother and didn't fluctuate much at all. Unlike older FuelPaks, this one allows you to adjust idle speed.

The app itself has a lot of useful/interesting readouts from intake/exhaust temperature, intake air pressure, front/rear spark advance, mph, rpm, throttle position %, etc. It also provides a readout of trouble codes that your bike may be throwing, including what the code means. I found that very useful because I don't like having to google what a random alpha-numeric code stands for. It's very user friendly with even the smallest amount of experience with today's phone technology.

I should be able to get it out tomorrow and possibly give a better review on exactly how well it actually works on the streets. I usually don't take risks with new technology but thought 'what the hell' i'll give it a shot. Maybe it'll work out for me.

**UPDATE**

I got a chance to ride the bike to work this morning and really try out the FP3. Overall, I'm impressed. My SB has never run this smoothly from a stop all the way up to 80 mph. There is very little decel pop now and that's with the map V&H pegged for my bike with no tweaking yet. I'm currently running V&H short shots (no baffles) with a DK Custom A/C so how much it improved the decel popping is a win in my book.

My feeling that the throttle response had improved was also proven. After riding my carbed RK that had great throttle response, I couldn't stand how much lag there was between twisting the throttle and the engine responding. Now with the FP3, it is much closer to that of my old RK.

Also, power, measured by the seat of my pants, seems much improved. I thought the 103 had a decent amount of grunt before but now it's no contest between it and my old 88. Can't wait to get cams next.

So far I can't think of any negatives. Easy installation, cool features, good performance. Time will tell whether the reliability holds up but so far, so good.

Last edited by Cheeto; 03-18-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-17-2014, 06:48 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Keeps us posted.Im interested to see how it works out

Old 03-17-2014, 06:50 PM
PaiN
Tourer

Thanks for posting....I know there's lot's of interest in the FP3

Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Lockshow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, thanks for posting dude. Ready for the full report now before I bite the bullet!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Nothing wrong with the FuelPak product, used mine for seven years and even worked well with cams. Interested to know how the new one works for you!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just posting because I do not want to miss your review. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 PM
cvfd17
Cruiser

Subscribed

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 PM
usraptor
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also subscribed. Very interested in this for my '13 RGU

Old 03-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain

Update has been added to original post.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Lockshow
Cruiser

Seals the deal for me! Thanks again for the review! Hopefully it works as well with a Thunderheader and if not hopefully that autotune function can work its magic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FuelPak FP3 *Very* Short-term Use Review