Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need your opinion guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 11:13 AM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need your opinion guys!

so recently just bought my 2014 SB and after riding her for a week with a big grin on my face, I just cant get over how quiet it sounds on the FWY, truth be told " Loud pipes saves lives " I used to commute to work on my crotch rockets and if it wasnt for my aftermarket pipes I would have way more close calls than I should have... that being said, been looking in to buying something easy on the pockets that will make the bike louder so I ran in to a few great deals on some slip ons... one of them is a set of Rush slip ons for less than half of what it retails for shipped to my door and the other set is a set of V&H straight shot (full) which is local and for under 100.

I definitely want to be louder, but I dont want to be too obnoxiously loud that my ears start ringing on longer trips. can you guys shed some light for me on these two exhausts and help me decide which direction to go with ?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe I am the one selling the slip ons... Lol

I will give my advice as well. It really depends on what you want. I really wanted a loud aggressive sound that would wake my neighbors up early Saturday morning. I went with the slip ons I am trying to sell now because they were not as expensive as full pipes and I needed to save up but still wanted a little extra sound. I knew all along is was a temp solution which I was ok with. I ran these until I found the right deal on the set of pipes I wanted.

Slip ons are going to be louder than stock and give it a little different tone in some cases. You can also change the baffles inside the slip ons to make it a little more louder / less louder and different tone. Those V&H strait shots are going to be loud, just depends how loud you want it. Its all up to you but I think in the long run you will end up with full pipes. If it were me, get the V&H strait shots that are local to you. For $100?? Sounds like a crazy find to me.

Ride safe!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the works but if it is down to those two choices I would go with the full over the slips, that's just me. <3 My choice will always be : full system 2/1 again , me
as for your loudness question, when on the hwy the sound will always be behind you, you will barely hear that over the wind screaming by your ears!
try and find out which baffles are in the V&H.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life
I believe I am the one selling the slip ons... Lol

I will give my advice as well. It really depends on what you want. I really wanted a loud aggressive sound that would wake my neighbors up early Saturday morning. I went with the slip ons I am trying to sell now because they were not as expensive as full pipes and I needed to save up but still wanted a little extra sound. I knew all along is was a temp solution which I was ok with. I ran these until I found the right deal on the set of pipes I wanted.

Slip ons are going to be louder than stock and give it a little different tone in some cases. You can also change the baffles inside the slip ons to make it a little more louder / less louder and different tone. Those V&H strait shots are going to be loud, just depends how loud you want it. Its all up to you but I think in the long run you will end up with full pipes. If it were me, get the V&H strait shots that are local to you. For $100?? Sounds like a crazy find to me.

Ride safe!
yeah, someone 15min away from me is actually letting it go for $80 picked up for the V&H, I understand their pretty loud, but I dont think itll be as loud as my old gutted Screaming eagle on my 1200xl. this is definitely just a temporary fix, probably gonna save up for a full stage 1 including a 2-1 exhaust but I dont think itll be happening real soon so this should suffice

Originally Posted by maddghost
I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the works but if it is down to those two choices I would go with the full over the slips, that's just me. <3 My choice will always be : full system 2/1 again , me
as for your loudness question, when on the hwy the sound will always be behind you, you will barely hear that over the wind screaming by your ears!
try and find out which baffles are in the V&H.
I believe it comes as no baffles? "straight shot" should be pretty loud I imagine. but like I posted above, just looking for a temp fix for some noise so cagers can hear. I'm definitely looking in to 2-1 systems but I know pockets wont allow for a while, so being under $100 and local, I think I will go this route for now

Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM
skipc
Cruiser
Default pipes

Get the straight shots--good system super price.Skip

Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skipc
Get the straight shots--good system super price.Skip

thanks skip! I think I will be heading this direction since its local and easy on the wallet. do these slip ons need tuner or fuel management? Im getting one eventually but not at the moment ....

Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Originally Posted by kreeess
thanks skip! I think I will be heading this direction since its local and easy on the wallet. do these slip ons need tuner or fuel management? Im getting one eventually but not at the moment ....
No. With slip ons no adjustments need to be made. With the full set of pipes you will probably be ok as well but once you get an Air cleaner that brings more in you will probably want to look at something like the micro tuner from fuel moto. Inexpensive yet very effective. Plus the service at fuel moto is top notch.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:35 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life
No. With slip ons no adjustments need to be made. With the full set of pipes you will probably be ok as well but once you get an Air cleaner that brings more in you will probably want to look at something like the micro tuner from fuel moto. Inexpensive yet very effective. Plus the service at fuel moto is top notch.

perfect, this will allow me to save up quicker lol.. someone mentioned at least getting xied to trick the computer to run rich, this necessary?

Old 03-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Originally Posted by kreeess
perfect, this will allow me to save up quicker lol.. someone mentioned at least getting xied to trick the computer to run rich, this necessary?
I wouldn't bother with it. Complete waste of $100 if you ask me. I did a ton of research with this not long ago when buying all my stuff. Called the guys at fuel moto to talk to them about it and they said there pretty much pointless. Nothing but wire and a few resistors and such.

Some guys run air cleaners, pipes and never bother with a tuner. They say the EFI modules can adjust itself. Is this true, I don't think so since the EPA is involved with making sure the bike can only put out enough fuel to meet their regulations.

If you want to get some type of tuner, get something thats going to last you down the road with what your going to do to your bike. I was going to get the power vision but for what I have done and plan on doing this is all I need for now. Dont plan on cams and such for quite some time. I will probably have a street glide by that time anyways.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

IMO you can go full systems ... just not straight pipe full without the proper tune.

I have the same bike same pipes ... WITHOUT a tune that bike will fall on its *** and those pipes will sound like crap ... lots of popping and back fire.

Get them on the cheap and get a good tune

Quick Reply: need your opinion guys!