Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini??? APES INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Kustrud
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini??? APES INSTALLED!

Got em on, and it says 9" apes, but I think they are at least 10! Oh well, I really like how it turned out though! Couple of problems, 1 - clutch cable is way too tight soooo....what do I do now? Is this something I can do myself, how much should a cable cost, and how do I do it?? Two, front brake cable wouldn't even reach, check the pic. Can I get a new connector with longer pieces for my dual disks somewhere or how do I go about that?? Whole new setup there? Please say no - this was supposed to be cheap! Rode around the neighborhood with (using back brakes) to feel em and theyre super comfy! Thanks!

And yes - mirrors will be lower now and black and turn signals are going to the forks.

The brake is basically a T under the tree that forks off two ways down to each caliper - from there up hard line - to small soft line - to hard line that hits the master cylinder....can I add to that anyhow??

Last edited by Kustrud; 03-19-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
99%r
Tourer

Not sure what year and model your bike is, but I used stock street bob brake line and clutch cable.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Kustrud
Tourer

Dang my signatures messed up. 2005 super glide

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25 PM
99%r
Tourer

Mine is a 2011 super glide custom with 9 or 10 inch apes(can't remember) and the stock street bob cables work perfect.

Also JP cycles would be a good place to check for new cables.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:26 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I ordered new handlebars, throttle cables, and a brake line for a FXDWG with the aftermarket wire extender kit from the dealer when I bought my '01 SG. They were not going to be able to get the brake line for a few weeks so I cancelled the order and got a NOS one for an '02 FXDWG off of eBay for $25 shipped...

Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM
jon1120
Advanced

The clutch cable will be easy, just loosen up the adjuster nut until you have about a 1/16 to 1/8" of play in your clutch lever. All you have to do is pull down the rubber piece that is in the middle of your clutch cable attached to the front of the frame. Then adjust the nut to get you correct setting. Without better pics not sure what your working with on your brake line. If you want feel free to pm me your number maybe can help ya out on the phone.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Kustrud
Tourer

Ok got the clutch figured out. I just took it out of the plastic clip (2 on frame rail behind forks and 1 below motor on left side) on the left side below the motor and that completely took the stress off of it. This should be fine right? Doesn't seem like it'll move much or get into anything by removing that, right? Brakes are another story - these dual disks are killing me.....ideas?

By the way....how do they look?!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kustrud
Ok got the clutch figured out. I just took it out of the plastic clip (2 on frame rail behind forks and 1 below motor on left side) on the left side below the motor and that completely took the stress off of it. This should be fine right? Doesn't seem like it'll move much or get into anything by removing that, right? Brakes are another story - these dual disks are killing me.....ideas?

By the way....how do they look?!
The bars look good. Make sure that clutch cable doesn't get tight when you turn the bars to the right stop. And trust me those dual disks are bad ***, might cost you more for brake lines but at least you can stop in a hurry. Wish I had dual disks!

Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Kustrud
Tourer

Thanks! Anyone near Atlanta wanna trade my chrome forks and dual disks for BLACK forks and single disk?? Ha!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 PM
12Fatbob!
6th Gear

you can get extended brake lines through dennis kirk or parts unlimited for the dual disc set up on your bike. I have the stock six inch riser on my bike with 14 inch bars and purchased a burlys extension kit which was a waste of money. Harley has so much extra wire tucked in the frame I didn't need to extend the wiring and the brake line they sent in the kit was for single brakes so the only thing from the kit I used was the extended clutch cable and bought a separate extended dual brake line. but either way love it!!!

Quick Reply: Mini??? APES INSTALLED!