Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavier oil for 60°+ temperatures...like my country!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heavier oil for 60°+ temperatures...like my country!

I usually run 20w50 dino oil (Penzoil mainly)...I recently read on my Clymer's manual (before you start the bashing, I had no idea the Service Manual was a better option ok? I just didn't know better) recommends SAE 50 for temperature zones 60°F and up, which is the usual temperature in Honduras.

Temperatures here in the capital city where I live are usually 65-75°, in the valleys on the north and south 85-100°, and down to 50-60° on the highest mountains still reachable by Harleys...

Would I see any benefits from switching to the recommended SAE 50?

Your input is appreciated, thank you very much.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the HD service manual is similar on the topic. They have a chart that lists oil, lowest ambient, and cold weather starts below 50 degrees. 20W50 for above 40F and good cw starts, 50W for above 60F and poor cw starts, 60W for above 80F and poor cw starts.

You should get better protection when engine is warmed up in hot weather with 50W and slightly less oil consumption than with 20W50. However, its also not going to flow as well during startup which is when most wear occurs. How long and hard do you normally ride? Do you take short hops or all day trips?

I use straight 40W in my ski boat (Chevy 350) which normally runs wide open in 90F air temps. However, it's a PIA to change because it doesn't flow at all unless hot, and it's difficult to get hot enough when winterizing at end of season.

IMHO, I'd recommend a good 20W-50 or 50W SYNTHETIC. I believe the Synthetics (like Mobil 1) offer better protection than dino oil. Not better enough for me to invest in for my auto but enough for my air cooled bike. Sorry to not be definitive but nobody really seems to have all the answers on this subject (except the guy trying to sell you the next miracle lubricant or the guy who wants to be a know-it-all.)

Old 03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9

You should get better protection when engine is warmed up in hot weather with 50W and slightly less oil consumption than with 20W50. However, its also not going to flow as well during startup which is when most wear occurs. How long and hard do you normally ride? Do you take short hops or all day trips?

IMHO, I'd recommend a good 20W-50 or 50W SYNTHETIC. I believe the Synthetics (like Mobil 1) offer better protection than dino oil. Not better enough for me to invest in for my auto but enough for my air cooled bike. Sorry to not be definitive but nobody really seems to have all the answers on this subject (except the guy trying to sell you the next miracle lubricant or the guy who wants to be a know-it-all.)
I ride my bike daily between 65°/75° Farenheit...and the occasional weekend ride beyond city limits. Thanks for the recommendations.