Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Mistake. Easy Install Fork Dust Caps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Hepper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Mistake. Easy Install Fork Dust Caps?

I just had my forks rebuilt with racetech springs and new tubes, seals, ect. and I had the shop throw some rubber gaiters on right away. Well I decided I didn't like the look and cut them off only to find no dust caps. I assumed they were under there. Anyways do they make easy install dust caps? How bad is it for them to just go without? Also is squeaking normal on fresh forks? It sounds like stiction when I compress the front end, or do I just have to break in the bushings and seals a little?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

If what you mean by easy is not having to take the tubes down, I don't know of anything made to work like that. That doesn't mean there isn't something, maybe someone will chime in.
I think you can ride a little bit without the dust caps if you have to. Just wipe the tubes down after each ride.
Never had any noises with new seals, springs or bushings. Could possibly go away with time but I would bring it back to the shop and make sure they hear it.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:32 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the squeaking is normal either. Never known the bushings or seals to need " breaking in ". I would take it back.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely take it back to the shop for the noise and ask for the stock dust covers back while you're there...stock covers for my bike are $70 through the MoCo. That squeaking makes me think there's too much friction going on.