Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Woodys03
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Low Rider

I am trying to figure out what air filter is needed to run with the V&H Big Radius pipes I bought today. I just bought the bike and it only has 12 miles on it. I was told at the Dealer that I have to wait until I have 1,000 miles on it before I install the pipes and tune it. They HIGHLY recommended an air filter when I do the pipes. I am totally ignorant of what I should/have to have. What I know is what they suggested which is the pipes I wanted, Power commander and air filter.

So here goes a few questions:
1. Can I buy a used Power Commander and that be used to tune my bike or is it a must to have a new one?
2. They suggested I tune my own bike with some dyno jet tuner, I know nothing about tuning a bike but I am not totally ignorant of this as I did just finish a decade of drag racing a 905 RWHP Twin Turbo Cobra.
3. I have seen these big sucker air filters online range from 59.00 to 159.00. What is needed for my bike?

My plan is to get out and ride the bike until I finally have 1000 miles on it and then I will take it in for it's first service with all the parts on and have them tune it. Yes I know not to ride it after I put the parts on as it will cause a lean condition. I just can't bring myself to paying labor for something I know I can do in my garage. This should knock a ton of labor off the bill and being as I will be installing the parts I will know everything is torqued to spec and care was taken to do it right. Please let me know if I am so ignorant of the obvious that I am making a mistake. I have thick skin and I am here to learn from all of you who have the experience. Thank you very much.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Wakko47
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to say congratulations on the new purchase!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I think most people will recommend a powervision or TTS for a tuner. I have a powervision and it's really nice to use. I had the powercommander III and screaming eagle pro super tuner and PV is beyond both of those. If you haven't already go over to https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...-injection-55/ and do some reading on tuners.

As far as higher flow aircleaners they all do the same thing, not really one better than the others. It's just a personal preference of $$$ and appearance, IMO.

congrats on the new bike.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:15 PM
freddyttt
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

How about a Pic... saw one at the dealer. great looking bike.!!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodys03
I am trying to figure out what air filter is needed to run with the V&H Big Radius pipes I bought today. I just bought the bike and it only has 12 miles on it. I was told at the Dealer that I have to wait until I have 1,000 miles on it before I install the pipes and tune it. They HIGHLY recommended an air filter when I do the pipes. I am totally ignorant of what I should/have to have. What I know is what they suggested which is the pipes I wanted, Power commander and air filter.

1. Can I buy a used Power Commander and that be used to tune my bike or is it a must to have a new one?
2. They suggested I tune my own bike with some dyno jet tuner, I know nothing about tuning a bike but I am not totally ignorant of this as I did just finish a decade of drag racing a 905 RWHP Twin Turbo Cobra.
3. I have seen these big sucker air filters online range from 59.00 to 159.00. What is needed for my bike?

My plan is to get out and ride the bike until I finally have 1000 miles on it and then I will take it in for it's first service with all the parts on and have them tune it. Yes I know not to ride it after I put the parts on as it will cause a lean condition. I just can't bring myself to paying labor for something I know I can do in my garage. This should knock a ton of labor off the bill and being as I will be installing the parts I will know everything is torqued to spec and care was taken to do it right. Please let me know if I am so ignorant of the obvious that I am making a mistake. I have thick skin and I am here to learn from all of you who have the experience. Thank you very much.
Answers:

1) Yes, the Power Commander is a "tuner" or better, a fuel management system.

2) DynoJet is the company that makes the Power Commander. So what I think they were saying is to have the motorcycle "Dyno'ed". Meaning the bike will be run through the gears and adjustments will be made throughout the power bands in each gear to optimize the air/fuel mixture for the best performance.

3) As for air intakes, the options are tremendous; Arlen Ness Big Sucker, H-D's Screamin' Eagle stage 1, Roland Sands, Performance Machine, DK customs, etc....etc....

Now, the opinion. A good "dyno" on your motorcyce is about $250.00 +, so make sure the final set up is what you are going to stick with. If now, just get a basic map download for the air intake, exhaust setup you have....and when you do bring it in, make sure you have a full tank of fuel in the motorcycle...that will save you having the shop fill it up.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Here is a good overview of all the options on fuel management. Does a comparison and has prices. Easy read-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

For an air cleaner, don't think you can do better than the Outlaw 587 Systems. Great Performance, lots of different looks, and good pricing.

Click HERE to see em.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Woodys03
Tourer

2014 Low Rider-image.jpg Here is a pic of my bike. And thanks for all the guidance guys I appreciate you taking your time to help me.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM
Woodys03
Tourer

Hmmm for some reason I can't see the pic but it was in the preview

Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woody, just get the $159.00 Big Sucker Air Cleaner, I would buy a new power commander. New bike, New parts. Also, you don't need a Dyno Tune unless you just really want to get one. Just pipes, power commander and air cleaner, and your set.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:33 PM
Woodys03
Tourer

Thanks bro, can you see the pic I tried posting?

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider