Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Further forward mid-control kit

Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Lowdownmonster
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m a Harley virgin and after waiting almost my entire life I finally get my 2014 Street Bob this coming Saturday…Have always been a fan of the comfort of full forward controls on other bikes, but there's a pile of labour to take off the primary, etc. to swap controls on the Street Bob, so I’m seriously considering the more-forward mid controls. I was at the dealership last week and made a point of sitting on a Low Rider myself. The two or three inch difference is HUGE for anyone who has comfort issues with mids, particularly if you’re concerned about keeping your knee flexed for any period of time. (I’d add that I’m somewhere around 5’10” tall and have sketchy knees)

The kit is referred to as a 'further forward mid-control kit' and retails for $388.95 (for those of us North of the border). The installation appears pretty straight forward and apparently the only obstacle would be whether or not the exhaust would have to be removed to install the brake lever, if you couldn’t jiggle your way in there somehow. Something to consider will also be fitment of aftermarket exhaust systems once this kit has been installed... there’s a remote possibility you might be limited... Very likely I’ll find out about all three items in the very near future.

In any case, after such a long and crappy winter I’m looking forward (or mid-forward) to getting my fists in the wind very soon.

Cheers!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

How'd we end up with such a Canadian-heavy thread?

The brake lever is attached to the foot peg mount via a pin and a snap-ring. I still think install should be easy... but clearance issues could come up...

I think I'll need to take a spin on a LR to see if I can deal with that foot position... I still fear for the hip pain, however, after sitting on one.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Never considered the longer throw of the levers as a consequence; wouldn't want that, I'm sure...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
Never considered the longer throw of the levers as a consequence; wouldn't want that, I'm sure...
meh, its not like the rear brakes are the majority of stopping power.

the longer throw of the shifter is probably a good thing for folks with size 13 boots

edit: i'll let you know next week when the kit i ordered shows up.

Last edited by slozomby; 03-25-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
"Dutch"
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny this topic came up. I stopped by the H-D dealership; to see the new LR. I wanted to see and feel these new mounts and I too like it. And here we are discussing it. B2, thanks for locating the prices, this is something I will do....and yes...those mounts will be PC'ed black...haahaa

Last edited by "Dutch"; 03-25-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior

I didn't see that there was a Fat Bob in question here, either... this new kit will not do what you need, as it has been stated, it's just mounts for pegs and extended shift lever and brake pedal.

Here's a mid control kit on eBay that appears to have all of the other rods. Then you'd need to get the further forward mid-controls...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-HARLEY-DA...-/121299760547

Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior

I can't seem to find a kit from HD that would be the normal mid-controls to make sure I have all of my old parts (dealer installed my forwards when I got my bike and gave me a box of parts that I can only assume are all inclusive of the take-off parts from my mids). Best I can think is to reverse engineer the forward install instructions... they're here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03509.pdf

Notice, the forwards kit comes with a plug for the hole left in the outer primary. Does the Fat Bob even have that hole? Would you need a new outer primary to go to mids? I guess you could get out the drill bit...

Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior

One more from me on this and then I'm done..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05321.pdf

Reduced Reach Forward Control Conversion Kit- Dyna-50700005. $170 from HD. Works with Dynas that have forwards, included the Fat Bob. It brings your forwards back a WHOLE 1" and up 1".

Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have em on 2 bikes, they really help a lot. Bought one and made the other.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

lf any body has a standard set they want to swap, pm me, l have a Low Rider arriving early May and l'm after a set of standard parts for it... l'll cover the postage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Further forward mid-control kit