Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Further forward mid-control kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Further forward mid-control kit

Harley has a new further forward mid control kit, pn 50500386; anyone install this yet? Wondering what happens to the stock exhaust mounting point at the bottom of the cam cover? 2" forward should be pretty comfy, depending on which bars a person has...I've never been a fan of forward controls, but this might just take a bit of the kink out of one's knees

Old 03-23-2014, 11:13 AM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

They're standard on the new LR (you probably knew that, already). Pretty comfortable position, I was surprised. Don't know if I would move to switch as I sometimes feel like I'd like my feet about as far back as these position them forward, but, pretty comfy none-the-less. Nice to have options...

Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
XFXDX
Road Master

Oh... I think the MoCo is calling them "mid mounted forward controls", at least that's what I heard 'em saying to some potential buyers.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:15 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

No; I didn't know they were on the new Low Rider; guess I'll have to wander down for a demo ride when the glaciers recede up here...thanks for the info!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
XFXDX
Road Master

No worries, Sharkey. Let us know how that goes!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I had a Streetbob with mids before but they killed my knees with my 34" inseam. My '13 Fatbob has fowards which are comfy but would like better control. I heard about the new forward mid controls and had to go check them out. I stopped by the dealership today and sat on a new Lowrider. The riding position felt better than both the Streetbob and my Fatbob. I am going to have to price how much to convert to the new controls from my fowards.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Crustysalmon
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are almost $400 from HD at full retail, aren't they ?

That seems extortionate given they are just mounts and pedals.

The upside is installation would be easy. Just a straight swap. The brake pedal looks weirdly long, though, in my opinion.

I'll reserve judgement til I get to sit on or ride a low-rider, but $400 to change from standard mids to further forward doesn't seem good value at the moment.

Edit: just re-read that you are talking about the fat bob - that would mean replacing outer primary and putting in a mid-shifter shaft,wouldn't it ? That's gotta get pricey I'm guessing.

Last edited by Crustysalmon; 03-24-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 PM
b2inUT
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

$319 retail.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...id-control-kit

$256 from surdyke.
http://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo.a...umber=50500386

If you have stock mids on, looks like an easy swap. I've been contemplating. My hips don't like the mids, so I went to forwards. To go back, you have to pull the outer and INNER primary...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Already swapped out the forwards for mids; didn't like the forwards...rode 'em to Sturgis and back (2 weeks, a few thousand km's) and that was enough for me. Just 2" forward on the pegs is a huge difference, too.....I'll see what they're like...worried how they'll fit with after market exhaust (RB Black Hole)

Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 145 Posts

I stopped by a Harley dealer yesterday and sat on a new Low Rider. First, I like the mids on my bike now, I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I thought the more forward position wasn't too bad but not better than what I have now. My concern is with longer shift and brake levers the amount of distance you have to move the lever to either shift or apply the brakes is more. Plus with your foot further forward the your ankle really takes a beating to apply the brake. I think braking would be easier with the mids I have now. The bike I sat on had the seat insert on the bike. If you took it out so you moved further back it would be worse.

Quick Reply: Further forward mid-control kit