Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump failure due to Cam tensioner residue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 AM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Actually yes.

There was this clattering noise (I guess you could describe it as "top end" noise...which really isn't the top end anyway)

Secondly, during my last oil change, I noticed orange plastic shavings in the used oil, so obviously a tensioner was wearing out. I bought the replacements and was planning to undo the cam plate on April 2nd, but the bike didn't make it that far. (almost though!)

I guess the moral of the story is: when a component shows signs of wear, stop the bike until you can get the issue fixed. (or something like that) thanks for subscribing, you should see more pics this week when I continue disassembly.
It's hard to comprehend the fact you would ride the bike after seeing "orange plastic shavings" in your oil.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck mate, hope this thread has a happy ending.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:58 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin714
It's hard to comprehend the fact you would ride the bike after seeing "orange plastic shavings" in your oil.
Not sure if you noticed Kevin but FXD is in Honduras so parts take a lot longer to arrive + cost is a lot more, that and he use's his bike everyday. Tbh I would've done the same, 47 years old and never owned a car, why would I when with that cash I can buy another bike?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushranger
Not sure if you noticed Kevin but FXD is in Honduras so parts take a lot longer to arrive + cost is a lot more, that and he use's his bike everyday. Tbh I would've done the same, 47 years old and never owned a car, why would I when with that cash I can buy another bike?

You said it brother!

Anyway, here are some advancements from last night...like I said before, I have to take the engine out for complete disassembly...

Exhausts are out, air filter is out...according the manual I have to undo the carb but I haven't done that yet.

On the other side, the primary cover has been removed, I still need to disassemble the primary chaincase and the inner cover in order to remove the engine...guess I'll need the primary locking tool or at least a working substitute...

Surprisingly enough, the front cylinder rocker box cover had NO GASKET!!! All it had was this thin red layer of something...unbelievable!

Also, I'm using a straw to measure TDC on the cylinders...the bike is on a jack, and I've set the bike on 5th gear, but whenever I turn the rear wheel there's this crackling sound, like something is stuck inside the bottom end of the engine...I don't like that!

I also snapped a sensor trying to disconnect it...oh well, such is life. Is it the Crankshaft position sensor by any chance?

So yeah, that's the progress so far, the current objective is to remove the engine from the frame for a closer inspection...stay tuned!

Old 04-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Black Bart
Road Master

Good luck with the dis-assembly. Progress, slow but sure will get you there. I'll be following along.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

That is the oil pressure switch. Like 16$ at Napa.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:55 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Originally Posted by soft 02
That is the oil pressure switch. Like 16$ at Napa.
Oh, alright, no biggie then. That's good.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

And you didnt break the sender. Just the elbow on the connecting wire. 10 cent eyelet and a 10-32 nut and its all good. I forgot to add that to my other post. Sender is still good.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master

Update#3 Barely any progress

Tonight I took out the clutch disks and pressure plates...I was trying to remove the primary but I didn't have the socket to move those nuts...(that's what she said)

The Clymer manual calls for an impact wrench to remove them, but I don't have such tools, can I use the right size socket and a breaker bar instead?

I also think I can use one of my wrenches as a primary locking substitute...would you say it's a good idea? Comments are always welcome! Thanks for keeping up!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

You prolly need a cheeter pipe on a breaker bar and maybe a propane torch to move that nut. I usually use a chissel for a locking bar. Those teeth are pretty tough.

Quick Reply: Oil pump failure due to Cam tensioner residue?