Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Box covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rocker Box covers

Gents,

I bought powder coated upper and lower rocker box covers for my WG. When I remove the upper cover, lifter covers and lower covers...is there anything special I need to do other than remove and reinstall the bolts in the proper sequence?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 03-24-2014, 06:19 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I have not had the pleasure of pulling my lower rocker boxes, only the top I believe you will have to switch over your rocker arms and re adjust your push rods. It should all be in the service manual which you will need for torque specs and tightening sequence.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you dotn have a factory service manual GET ONE. proper torque specs, sequences, etc for both removal and re-install. your rocker supports are botled to your lower rocker boxes so your gonna need to make sure the cylinder your working on is on TDC with the lifters on thwe base circle of the cam lboe or when you release the bolts you'll end up bending stuff. oh ya DOG BONE ADAPTERS will make your life sooooo much easier. while your unbolting them might as well rebuild your breatehr valves with new bits as you'll have them apart

Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 AM
trainedkilla
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a service manual and wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly. I watched a YouTube video and that was not done so I am just making sure.

I just got back and I am in transient housing right now...this will be a project for when I get my jack put together and I am in my garage.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2014, 11:21 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trainedkilla
Gents,

I bought powder coated upper and lower rocker box covers for my WG. When I remove the upper cover, lifter covers and lower covers...is there anything special I need to do other than remove and reinstall the bolts in the proper sequence?

Thanks,Chris
Damn brother....you dropped some cash there. I just pulled mine off and had them PCed (for $75) because I didn't wanna drop the cash to buy new ones. I think they turned out pretty sick. Anyhow....

Like the guy above said you wanna make sure you're on base circle when pulling off the rocker arms and support plates. Let us know if you have any questions about that because it's kind of a pain in the dick IMO. Wouldn't wanna tweak anything in there... Same goes with install.

I bought two new breather assemblies because they don't sell just the gaskets. And I didn't feel like waiting on the breather as it was only a couple bucks cheaper than the whole assembly.... Also bought new O-rings that go below the breather assemblies.

Last edited by ShiftyCapone; 03-24-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I also want to recommend proper cleaning of the gasket surfaces and all the fastener threads and the threaded holes. This will help ensure that your fasteners work properly and will help prevent a leak. This tool set is a requirement in my book:

Old 03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
07HDStreetBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I also want to recommend proper cleaning of the gasket surfaces and all the fastener threads and the threaded holes. This will help ensure that your fasteners work properly and will help prevent a leak. This tool set is a requirement in my book:

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to retap the thread holes. If they aren't damaged I wouldn't be doing that and its a toolkit you don't need for the job. Yeah definitely clean up the gasket surfaces. The job really is quite simple, did the whole thing a few weeks ago in my garage (upper and lowers) with a gasket kit from cometic. No need to remove the gas tank either. Jack up rear tire and remove plugs to find TDC. Use a manual and follow the sequences and torque values and you'll be done in no time. Took about 3 hours start to finish and that was taking my time. Here is the gasket kit, comes with every single gasket, o-ring you need:
http://www.shopengineparts.com/produ...65&type=engine

Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ll-w-pics.html

Here's a good write up from a while back.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 07HDStreetBob
I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to retap the thread holes. If they aren't damaged I wouldn't be doing that and its a toolkit you don't need for the job. Yeah definitely clean up the gasket surfaces.
This kit is NOT for retapping thread holes, it is for cleaning and repairing threads and thread holes. It will help remove the massive amount of thread-locker that HD likes to use. If there is a small metal spur, it will clean that up but again this kit does not create new threads, just takes care of what you got.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alansummrs
This kit is NOT for retapping thread holes, it is for cleaning and repairing threads and thread holes. It will help remove the massive amount of thread-locker that HD likes to use. If there is a small metal spur, it will clean that up but again this kit does not create new threads, just takes care of what you got.

He's right if there is any foreign matter in your thread holes you could potentially split a head while torquing.
But if you dont have the tools run a bolt in with your fingers using brake cleaner and a back and forth motion blowing out any debris and with compressed air and with any luck you will be fine.

You should get a whole new gasket set and the little blow by filters will be included.

Quick Reply: Rocker Box covers