Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Lowrider, 49mm wide front end. Looking for parts.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Low:Gary:Low
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Lowrider, 49mm wide front end. Looking for parts.

I have been through the build posts by INTHESPIRAL, GeorgeJ and others and have decided this is a mod that will keep me from buying a new ride anytime soon.

I just really dont like the narrow glide front end, I've decided to make it more difficult on myself and go 49mm instead of 41mm purely for the ability to maybe do a cartridge upgrade in the future.

I've been checking flea bay regularly for the last couple weeks and haven't seen much in the way of take off parts. I'm assuming I'll need to get a set of black fat bob trees from the dealer 48609-09 msrp 250$. I dont want to add any rake with WG trees.

For forks I think I might end up getting SG sliders already powder coated on ebay and shouldn't be too hard to find oe length and finish 49mm tubes.
My question with this is whether anyone has stock guts or even better complete assemblies laying around. Anyone know if I'll need to update the front brake caliper? Also as far as axles go am I going to screw myself trying to use a wide(FB) axle in sliders from a mid(SG)? Should I stick to all FB parts?(since I'm going chubby tire up front a FB fender would be a good fit...)

The only part of this I'm thinking of dropping more $$'s is on matt candy red coated 16" 40 spokes front and rear, haven't made up my mind on white walls yet. But maybe not until the winter. Any recommended suppliers or brands? Is 16" x 3.5" the best fitting rim? or is wider an option?

I'm basically planning to bench assemble and clearance wheels and brakes before taking my ride apart. So I'm not in much of a hurry. Does anyone see flaws in my plan?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:22 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You have 39mm forks. Not 41mm. Upgrading to 49mm, you will have less options than if you made it a 41mm. Only cartridge available for 49mm is from Ohlins, which is 31mm. If that is your goal, to have a cartridge front end, then go to 41mm. Progressive has 41mm cartridge setups all day long.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 AM
Novice

Yep, I know the bike is 39mm, doesn't seem worth while to do all this without gaining a bunch in the look/function departments. Think I have a pair of 49mm forks...

Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

What function are you gaining? It's designed exactly the same way. It works exactly the same way. What you lose is aftermarket support for 49mm. After close to 3 years of *supposed* R&D from Progressive regarding the 49mm monotube cartridge...it still does not exist. I would have thought with the touring bikes going 49mm this model year, they'd have a setup lickety split but still nothing.

You can spend BIG money on an ohlins system.

Sure you have some aftermarket springs available plus racetech and ricor cartridges...

It'd be a cool mod to put a fat front end on but think of what you want to accomplish.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

Bought stock 41mm fork legs & tubes used & new WG trees from a dealer & did the WG conversion on my '02 LR years ago. Good thing is the LR & WG frames, ie. neck rake, are identical so everything fits correctly. Brake calipers totally interchangeable as well. Much easier find parts & cheaper. Also upgraded the springs & valving w/ Race Tech springs & emulators.

IMHO, I think the 49mm forks are just a tad to big in dia. They just look kinda funky to me. Then again I'm used to seeing my 41mm all the time.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 PM
Novice

Thanks for the input, starting to lean 41mm... I didn't win the auction for the fatbob complete forks from ebay this morning, they went for 560$. Making my focus on 49mm seem like it's going to be a headache. Could probably do 41's right away and not have to search out parts for months. Gonna go look for pics and do some comparing.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Novice

AZgunner, one question for you. Don't the wg trees have 3ish degrees of rake built in? which changes handling and length of forks needed? or am I missing the point you were making that it will handle exactly like a wg?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:44 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Low:Gary:Low
AZgunner, one question for you. Don't the wg trees have 3ish degrees of rake built in? which changes handling and length of forks needed? or am I missing the point you were making that it will handle exactly like a wg?
I will answer your question in case AZgunner doesn't make it back. 41 MM trees had no rake built in but the 49 MM ones do and they started in 07'

Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

The WG & LR frames are identical, same part#, so if you buy trees for a WG they will work on your LR exactly as on a WG.

I've read people say there is rake built into pre -'06 trees, but no one I've ever challenged on it has ever been able to provide any "official" documentation supporting that.

Regardless, WG trees will fit your LR perfectly.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM
Novice

Thanks! I think I'm sold on making my LR a 41mm wide glide. Anything much different in the rear of the bike that you know of? Can I gain ground clearance with shocks? or swing arm?

***EDIT Nevermind... I'm getting into that yet.

Last edited by Low:Gary:Low; 03-31-2014 at 04:58 PM.