Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this Stage 2 quote?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:32 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thoughts on this Stage 2 quote?

Got this quote to do a full stage 2 kit. Well respected dealer in my area recommends 254e cams but I still think I have my heart set on 204s. Keep in mind this is in Canadian dollars, also noted is that he selected the wrong big bore kit in the quote, but no biggie. 1500 parts, 1200 labour including 4 hour dyno. Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on this Stage 2 quote?-stage-2-quote-forum.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 01:37 PM
JakeUSAF
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

If it takes more then 2 hours on the dyno I would wonder if they know what they are doing. My tuner took about 1hourand 20mins to build a complete map from scratch. If the bike is carbureted it may take longer not real sure there.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:00 PM
c-note
Road Master

Originally Posted by JakeUSAF
If it takes more then 2 hours on the dyno I would wonder if they know what they are doing. My tuner took about 1hourand 20mins to build a complete map from scratch. If the bike is carbureted it may take longer not real sure there.
EFI, $300-$400 seems pretty standard for a Dyno, no?

Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeUSAF
I don't know about this. Most good tuners will spend more than 2 hours dialing everything in. I think my guy put about 60 miles on dyno tuning my bike. Putting a basic map on a bike doesn't take a lot of skill but getting every last hp and ftlb and making the bike run as well as possible through all rpms takes a little time. My bike ran great with the initial basic tune but I picked up an additional 4 hp and 6 ftlbs after an afternoon on the dyno.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right off the bat, he is ripping you off of $200 by making you buy quick install pushrods.

You are already buying a top end gasket kit plus you are going big bore...make him use your stock pushrods.

Also, do some research and see what all is included in the kit...looks like you are buying extra gaskets that should be included.

I could never stand to pay the dealer for stuff like this.

Last edited by Mascman; 03-30-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by spankdog
I don't know about this. Most good tuners will spend more than 2 hours dialing everything in. I think my guy put about 60 miles on dyno tuning my bike. Putting a basic map on a bike doesn't take a lot of skill but getting every last hp and ftlb and making the bike run as well as possible through all rpms takes a little time. My bike ran great with the initial basic tune but I picked up an additional 4 hp and 6 ftlbs after an afternoon on the dyno.
My experience as well. The guy was charging me a flat rate. After a couple of hours he told me he had a good tune, but if I wanted to wait some more he'd see if he could get more. I was glad I gave him more time.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:12 PM
c-note
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mascman
Right off the bat, he is ripping you off of $200 by making you buy quick install pushrods.

You are already buying a top end gasket kit plus you are going big bore...make him use your stock pushrods.

Also, do some research and see what all is included in the kit...looks like you are buying extra gaskets that should be included.

I could never stand to pay the dealer for stuff like this.
Agreed on the pushrods. Might be my partly my mistake because we were initially talking about doing the cam swap, in which case the pushrod kit makes for a wash on the labour time. All the same, that is $200 that could be saved.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c-note
Agreed on the pushrods. Might be my partly my mistake because we were initially talking about doing the cam swap, in which case the pushrod kit makes for a wash on the labour time. All the same, that is $200 that could be saved.
I would say you can save the 200 plus a little more by researching what the kit includes.

If he is a decent dealer, he may order everything and then remove what is not needed after they see what is in the kit...taking it off your bill.

I would want to know though and would go in there well informed.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:25 PM
c-note
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mascman
I would say you can save the 200 plus a little more by researching what the kit includes.

If he is a decent dealer, he may order everything and then remove what is not needed after they see what is in the kit...taking it off your bill.

I would want to know though and would go in there well informed.
For sure, good looking out.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you commit to have the wrok done at the dealer...you better make sure the dyno tuner really knows what he's doing. I see a ton of people spend big bucks on engine work and then they get a shitty tune and negates the results.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this Stage 2 quote?