Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swichback

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 PM
T Wolfe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swichback

I am going to buy a Switchback as it will fit my needs better than the RK or Heritage. Manly solo in town with a 100/300 mile trip on weekends 2 up. So what extras are needed for ride quality and comfort. I put street glide air shocks on my custom and a mustang seat which I will do the same on the Switchback. WHAT ELSE???

Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 AM
MainelyScott
Intermediate

I added a quick release backrest with luggage rack when I bought mine, as far as riding two up and enjoying the bike, that may be all you need to do. Of course there will be things that you want to do, like exhaust, intake, more chrome, less chrome, but the bike is pretty darn enjoyable right out of the showroom! I'd run it and get to know it for a while before making too many changes.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:04 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The people I know that ride switchbacks complain about the heat, and in some cases vibration. Both those complaints were solved by a complete exhaust change to V&H.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Northern Cowboy
The people I know that ride switchbacks complain about the heat, and in some cases vibration. Both those complaints were solved by a complete exhaust change to V&H.
you dont have to spend that much, if you dont need to worry about emissions gut the cat out of the head pipe and you will fix your heat problem and the vibration issue from around 2500-3200 can be fixed with the clevis pin mod for about $5.. after that its a harley... seriously , are we ever REALLY done???

Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 781 Posts
Default Clevis Pin Mod

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
you dont have to spend that much, if you dont need to worry about emissions gut the cat out of the head pipe and you will fix your heat problem and the vibration issue from around 2500-3200 can be fixed with the clevis pin mod for about $5.. after that its a harley... seriously , are we ever REALLY done???
What is the Clevis pin mod?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
What is the Clevis pin mod?
http://switchbackowners.proboards.co...ack-clevis-pin

Basically, it's removing the screw from the rear attachment point for the exhaust and replacing w/ a clevis pin and washers. I don't know how it works. All I can tell you is, I just did this mod yesterday and it removed a lot of the vibration in the 2700 - 3200rpm zone. I understand if you run a full exhaust setup, you lose the vibration also.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:07 AM
T Wolfe
2nd Gear

I will probably buy the bike in Texas and ride back to Az. as they seem to have better deals in the lone star state. If I can save a little money and get a road trip also its a no brainer. I think I will take a clevis pin with me. How are they on a long haul? Is the ABS a must? How bad are the stock seats? A new Harley is really just a starter kit!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM
heavyd1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm getting ready to get one also, I found a 2012 at the dealer with 224 miles on it, about 13 the sales man quoted, I will have to trade in my Low Rider though, good luck with you deal

Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T Wolfe
I will probably buy the bike in Texas and ride back to Az. as they seem to have better deals in the lone star state. If I can save a little money and get a road trip also its a no brainer. I think I will take a clevis pin with me. How are they on a long haul? Is the ABS a must? How bad are the stock seats? A new Harley is really just a starter kit!
How comfortable you are on a stock Switchback on long highway rides might depend on your size. The stocker is the best seat in the Dyna lineup, but if you're a larger person it might be cramped after awhile. Same with the windshield, its decent but taller riders seem to get lots of buffeting.
I added a Mustang Wide Touring seat and an MS Batwing fairing with a 9" windshield and its comfortable for almost any distance with my 6'0", 230lbs. frame.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 PM
Dyna Dave117
6th Gear

I have a 2014 Switchback that now has 2500 miles. I have read many forums and agree that SOME Switchbacks seem to have a terrible vibration problem. Those with that problem seemed to remedy it by doing the "Clevis Pin" mod. Many others, like myself, never had the problem. The stock slip on is very quiet. I swapped it out for the Sceamin' Eagle Nightstick and thought it too was still quiet. Next I went to a V&H slip on which I am very happy with. The neighbors do not hate the bike but I can hear it when I ride. The windshield was a problem for me too and I am only 5'7''. I purchased a Klock Werks Billboard windshield for $180 off of Ebay and solved that problem. Others items I upgraded that I thought was a good bang for the buck was the HD analog speedometer/tach and a set of Kuryakyn iso grips. I love the bike, like everything else you buy new, it takes some personalization to make it your own. I did also spend a ton of cash for a chrome primary, timing cover, and transmission cover. I like chrome!

Attached Thumbnails Swichback-068.jpg