Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap battery or a possible ground leak??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:02 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Crap battery or a possible ground leak??

A while back some one posted how thier battery wouldn't hold a charge over night if parked on concrete. I must admit I was a little skeptical when I read the post but then I have seen stranger electrical issues.

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing the same issue. If I park the bike on the concrete in my garage overnight the battery will be drained enough to not be able to provide spark. Engine will crank but it won't fire. If I park on the linoleum in my garage overnight battery is fine the next morning and the bike fires up first time.

I've experimented with where I park the bike several times and every time without fail the batt is drained when parked on concrete. Typically the voltage is drained down to about 12.6 volts, enough to crank but not enough to fire.

I have been riding most of the winter and I won't be surprised if I've got some salt corrosion on a connector of terminal somewhere, so I'll be doing an electrical clean up over the weekend. Any other suggestions as to how I may track down this electrical gremlin? Batt is 4 years old so it's borderline as to wether its still good or not, just not keen to drop coin on a new batt until I have eliminated all other possible issues.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

You could grab you multi-meter and check for a parasitic current draw first, Karl: