Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 FXDWG is the price right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Chiefdouche
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 FXDWG is the price right?

Hey everybody, new here but not to bikes. I've owned a bunch of bike but only metric cruisers and seeing how I love my country its time to buy a Harley. I found a 1996 FXDWG from a dealer for 7Gs. Its got 13,500 miles with : Screamin Eagle ignition module & coil. Race Tech front forks. Fox rear shocks. Vance & Hines pipes. S & S carb. Andrews drag cams. Crane adjustable push rods. The paints clean. I'm going to need to finance so I know Ill be paying more than if I had cash. But do you guys think its a pretty good deal? Thanks

Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

With a bike that old it is hard to say . The miles are low (if correct) That does not seem right . All the screamin Eagle stuff don,t mean much unless you would buy that stuff yourself later . Two things I would do Get a friend that has road a Harley for some time and have him ride it . Also check out e-bay and other sites for prices .
An older bike with a price of $7,000 can turn into a $10,000 bike fast .

Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM
bradlh
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '98 FXDWG had 28,000 miles when I paid $5,000 about 3 years ago. It is in mint condition- I think 7,000 is on the high side but I did pay an extra $275 for V&H slip on's and $485 for the S&S carb kit after the purchase.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

That is too much for an EVO bike. You can find a Twin Cam with low miles for that much. Add ons mean nothing to me on a bike that is almost 20 years old.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Do YOU think it's a good deal? In the end, it'll be you that has to live with, and ride it.

The Fox And RaceTech stuff, is definitely a bonus. A 96 Evo is basically bullet proof. It'll last you a LONG time. I wouldn't say it's TOO much. On the high side, sure. I would say about 6k if you can hand them cash. Work with them, I'm sure they're on the high side intentionally. Though, spring is basically here, and it's easier to sell bikes when the weather is nicer.

Chase

Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 AM
Chiefdouche
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I actually want an Evo bike because I know the reliability of those motors and they're not too hard to wrench. Tomorrow I'l be looking at a few different bikes. But I definitely without doubt want an Evo bike.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

$7k for a clean bike with add on's that you like is a fair price. Higher end of market but fair. Despite what others have said, anything below $5k was probably rode hard and put away wet. If it is super clean the price is good.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:28 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Just about any big twin that rides down the road straight with a clean tittle will start at a minimum of $4,000.
There is a floor in Harley pricing and $4,000 to $5,000 is the floor for a big twin that runs.
On paper it would seem like you have found a low mileage garage queen.
If the mileage is true and if the title is clean and if all is OK with the bike then the price is fair.
since this is a dealer..guess a harley dealer..
When you state 7G i will guess it is closer to $8,000 when you add dealer fee and before taxes and title/registration..so basically about $8,600 with all fee's and papers.
Have a mechanic or friend with extensive knowledge pre-check and some kind of 60 day warranty would be nice..check the tire date codes..if over 5 years on tires request replacement..there is a possibility a gasket or two will require replacement soon so plan on it $$..inexpensive as a do it yourself ($100) but a dealer could be $500 easy...If seeking a loan : credit unions have some of the best loan rates available and you can open an account with almost no money $50-$100..just check online to compare.
An evo era bike has a following...could probably ride it for 2 years then resell privately and only loss would be fee's & taxes.
As talking point during transaction see if dealer will give you a service book and a parts book for free...NOT the owners manual...You can easily spend over $100 for both the service and parts manual...The owners manual should be automatic in the transaction...Finally it is my opinion to NOT use synthetics in older bikes since synthetics are excellent at finding every possible opportunity to locate a leak.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:12 PM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good advice.

FWIW, I recently bought a 99 Dyna for just under 5K. The cheapest, road worthy big twin evo I have seen was 3800 for an FXR.

Also don't forget that everyone changes stuff right away....so you'll be shelling out a few bucks to make the bike yours.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

less than 1000 miles a year is a good sign the bike sat for a long time. sitting is bad for bikes.

Quick Reply: 1996 FXDWG is the price right?