Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13 StreetBob Rear Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Flood1234
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13 StreetBob Rear Brake

Hi

I have just purchased my first Harley and its a 2013 Streetbob ABS

The rear brake is terrible. Is this normal??

Even on a hill the rear brake will not hold the bike unless you really stand on it?

I am up at Harley at the weekend so will talk to them but it doesnt seem right to me. Just wondered what anyone elses thoughts were.
Thanks

Flood

Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the same, last 3 daily riders over the last 10 years have been all pre 65 Brit bikes so I rely on the rear brake as the front drum brakes on the early brit stuff was unreliable at best. Have found I'm getting used to the "modern" discs, though like you I was surprised at the lack of stopping power on the rear compared to drums. Still not sure if its the abs or just a difference with the discs tbh.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe just a pedal adjustment to get more pressure on it.
The rear isn't the best but if it's too good you lock it up easy but the ABS should take care of that.
I use aftermarket EBS sintured brake pads and they work better than stock.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the problem in a way, on the older brit bikes ( I rode a 49 Panther a 54 Norton and a 65 Triumph daily for 10+ years) locking up the rear was the best option, I know it saved my life at least twice, you learnt not to rely on the front, at least I did. I suppose backing straight off on the throttle on older bikes made it more likely to stall so in heavy modern traffic you tended to keep the revs up, maybe that's a factor as well. But I know my 65 Trumpy drums stopped the bike a hell of a lot better than my 13 bob disc, first time with ABS so maybe I'm just and old fart.

Last edited by Bushranger; 04-03-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Flood1234
Stage III
Smile

I dont think its the ABS as I have had a BMW with ABS for the last 3 years. It works fine on it.

The brakes do work but you really need to put pressure on them. Much more than I would expect.

Will let you know when I talk with Harley at the weekend. Might just be a setup issue????

Thanks for responses

Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Unit 91
Tourer

How many miles are on it? Brakes are awful when new. They take a bit of bedding in, but should improve. Every time I use mine they get better.

Non-ABS bike, but still... pads in general suck when new.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 PM
monster715
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flood1234
Hi

Even on a hill the rear brake will not hold the bike unless you really stand on it?

I am up at Harley at the weekend so will talk to them but it doesnt seem right to me. Just wondered what anyone elses thoughts were.
Thanks

Flood
Had the same thoughts on my 13 limited. After a few hundred miles they dramatically improved. Try and ride it out for a while

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Flood1234
Hi

Thanks

Flood
First off, Ireland is one of my favorite places on Earth, very cool.

I must say though, I don't remember you guys having to many steep hills.

So, what kind of bikes are you used to riding and why all this dependence on the rear brake anyway?

I do remember if it's one thing you want in Ireland is a brake that brakes well in wet

Have you ever been to Athlone?

Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Found that Oberon brake lever works much better than OEM. But still hate a single disc.
Can't figure out how Harley gets away with it. They should make a retro fit. I am sure most riders would be glad to pay and install. I think that is why the new low rider is such a hit.
Roger

Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Flood1234
Stage III

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
First off, Ireland is one of my favorite places on Earth, very cool.

I must say though, I don't remember you guys having to many steep hills.

So, what kind of bikes are you used to riding and why all this dependence on the rear brake anyway?

I do remember if it's one thing you want in Ireland is a brake that brakes well in wet

Have you ever been to Athlone?

Yeah not too many long hills but some real nasty rises. I was rolling back when I used the rear brake on a hill start. Had foot on rear to stop myself rolling while I used the accelerator to get away.

I have been used to sports bikes and sports tourers. I have a BMW F800ST at the minute as well as the streetbob.
The bike has 1300 miles on it but chances are that the rear brake hasnt been used to much.
I wouldnt say theres a dependence on the rear brake but it comes in handy some times and I would prefer it to work properly when I do need it.

I stayed in Athlone a couple of years ago for work. Nice town.

Cheers

Quick Reply: 13 StreetBob Rear Brake