Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Primary chain tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 AM
jspoon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback Primary chain tensioner?

I was reading through all the threads about the good the bad and the ugly about the tensioner, I couldn't find info. if my 2013 switchback has the MoCo automatic adjuster that's caused problems of overtightening, anyone know? And while I'm asking, what's the compensator? My main curiosity is smoother shifting with the hayden I've read but also read a post where a guy said they don't help smooth out the shifting much on the 103 6 speed.
Any clues?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 146 Posts

Well I'd say if your primary cover doesn't have an adjustment cover plate, you have the automatic adjuster. Replaced the automatic adjuster on my 06 Bob and it certainly runs a lot smoother

As far as I can tell it still shifts ok. Don't know about 103's, but would imagine it'd be about the same.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Got a 2012 Switchback and I changed the tranny fluid when I first got it home to redline shockproof and shifts smooth.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:01 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, I wasn't so much interested in changing the way the shifting felt, it was more for the way it ratchets tight and doesn't back off.

It is not certain whether that is what causes the bearing to go bad or not, but either way, holding the chain too tight can't be considered good.

I have done the tranny mainshaft bearing and don't really want to do it any time soon. If the Hayden helps with that, that is all I care about.

I have the two springs in mine, and I would say the shifting feels close to the same as it did.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman

I have the two springs in mine, and I would say the shifting feels close to the same as it did.
Why I installed the hayden?...its the loud "clunk" that is reduced from neutral to first...and from gear to gear. Still shifts the same as far as the trans goes. When you are in your RPM sweet spot...it just clicks into gear.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I have had a Hayden in my 02 Dyna since 2003 and a lot of the clunk in the initial shifts are gone. I firmly believe that the HD auto tensioner has been a factor in primary bearing failures by over tightening the primary chain to the point where the crankshaft sprocket and main output shafts have a abnormal load/stress put on them. I have a Hayden for my 2013 that will be going in real soon.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 PM
jspoon
Advanced

Originally Posted by LDB187
Got a 2012 Switchback and I changed the tranny fluid when I first got it home to redline shockproof and shifts smooth.
I'm using the bel ray big twin trans oil, 75/145 my bike shifts fine, I'd just like to quiet down the clunk shift noise a little more.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:14 AM
jspoon
Advanced

I did the Hayden today on my 2013 FLD...Definite improvement on shifting,
I'm happy!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:43 AM
Chinashop bull
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a fix looking for a problem.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock tensioner and therefore no reason to change it.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Chinashop bull
This is a fix looking for a problem.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock tensioner and therefore no reason to change it.
This is not true.. sorry to disagree but i do. Many bikes with a 6 speed transmission are having the transmission main bearing going out down the road; due to the over tightening of the chain with the stock unit. They tighten the chain just fine the problem is they over tighten it and have no way to let the tension out.

I have a 2011 Street Bob. I just changed out my tensioner for the hayden unit and I have to say I will never ever go back. Way smoother shifting, way less vibration , I have checked my tension twice in the last 10,000 miles and the chain adjustment was spot on. The hayden unit does not over tighten the chain.

Also forgot to mention I had a bad whining either coming from the primary or the transmission in 1st gear as I got some miles on my bike it got worse. Was told it was normal for the bikes to do this. I no longer have the primary and or transmission whine anymore after the change to the hayden unit. A lot of us used to run these in our EVOs before the auto tension unit from HD was even on the bikes and they are durable and work.

Last edited by missedem; 04-29-2014 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Switchback Primary chain tensioner?