Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Leg

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 PM
BBSHK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot Leg

Hi Guys,
I installed the Rinehard Chrome Crossbacks, and love the sound, look and performance (*** dyno only), however, not liking the proximity to my right calf. I have no experience with exhaust heat wrap, but If I were to put a layer under the heat shields, do you think that would help, or is it a waste of time and money? Any other suggestions that don't include changing the exhaust? I attached a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Hot Leg-img_2672.jpg  
Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see how your leg might get hot!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Bushranger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I googled for you and found a fix on ebay.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Molsondrinkr
Novice

I was considering ordering crossbacks, just curious, How hot do you find it? In the research I have done, I didn't see many complaints of the heat issue.
And maybe a silly question, but is your bike running lean? Could cause extra heat.

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 PM
BBSHK
Advanced

It's not too bad, just have to be careful qhere I put my leg. I'm not sure about running lean, what would be symptoms? I do get a few decel pops but not many at all.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 PM
BBSHK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Molsondrinkr
I was considering ordering crossbacks, just curious, How hot do you find it? In the research I have done, I didn't see many complaints of the heat issue. And maybe a silly question, but is your bike running lean? Could cause extra heat. Good luck.
Just have to be careful of leg. Love the pipes, I think they look and sound incredible. Not sure about running lean, what would be symptoms? I do get a few minor decel pops.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 AM
Molsondrinkr
Novice

Originally Posted by BBSHK
Just have to be careful of leg. Love the pipes, I think they look and sound incredible. Not sure about running lean, what would be symptoms? I do get a few minor decel pops.
It's probably unlikely,a quick way to check would be to check your plug color. There are color charts online, but in general if they are white or whiteish v.s. a tan/brown, its lean. And dark/black being to rich. Again,given the fuel injection, I would think its doubtful, but couldn't hurt to pull a plug and see I guess.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had cross backs and never had that problem. It Could be a lean issue or a height issue. I'm 6'3 and didn't have an issue with the pipes being hot.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Martin Bros pipes on mine, looks great but they have blistered up my calf a few times already, wrap your pipes it will help it wont eliminate the heat but it will help. Definitely pull your plugs and see if the bike is running lean. If it is you will need to look into XIEDs or a programmer to fix that

Old 04-11-2014, 03:21 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,205 Likes on 11,117 Posts

Maybe try reusing one of the stock HD heat shields..the ones installed with hose clamps?

Quick Reply: Hot Leg