Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quarter fairing vs HD windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:27 PM
99%r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quarter fairing vs HD windshield

I have a HD compact quick release windshield, but like the looks of the quarter fairings. How does the wind protection from the quarter fairing compare to the HD compact windshield?

I like the looks of the fairing, but can't give up to much more wind protection. Also don't want a tall shield on the quarter fairing.

Thanks for any input

Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in this also...like the protection of my HD super sport windshield, but been considering a quarter fairing for better appearance. For the price, I like the Memphis Shades gauntlet fairing, but not sure how much protection is really provides. There are lots of options with quarter fairings....be interested to see what others have to say.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had both and the quarter fairing is a joke when it comes to wind protection. unless you relocate your headlight higher all the wind gets focused to your face or helmet causing insane amount of buffeting for me at least. I currently have the 18" compact qd windshield and like it much better. not the best looking thing but im done sacrificing comfort just to look like every other soa look a like dyna.

Last edited by fxdc rider; 04-11-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:11 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Not having experience with a windshield, I can't offer a comparison. I will say that the MS Gauntlet takes The wind off my chest really well. The air over the top comes right over the top of my helmet. No buffeting for me.

The Gauntlet is wider than most of the other quarter fairings. The air pushes around the rider.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a 1/4 fairing on a Honda I had a years ago, it can not compare to the wind protection I get from a windshield or the batwing fairing on now.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:15 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
Not having experience with a windshield, I can't offer a comparison. I will say that the MS Gauntlet takes The wind off my chest really well. The air over the top comes right over the top of my helmet. No buffeting for me.

The Gauntlet is wider than most of the other quarter fairings. The air pushes around the rider.
I think thats the key to a quarter fairing ability to work effectively is being wide enough. every rider is different though from hight, ridding position, bar hight, type of helmet ect.

The following users liked this post:
AHD4ME (01-16-2023)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

.... the answer?
It depends...... no, really. When I am riding my Deuce I use the tall windshield. Why? I am 6'4" and sit pretty tall in the saddle, and my riding position on that bike is almost straight up. The 'tall' windshield allows for the air to flow up and over the shield and my helmet.
When I had a KZ1000R I had a bikini faring... very small, but I was sitting in a forward leaning position (it had rear controls only). Not very helpful at 65mph; but tucked in at 140, helped a bunch...
Hope this helps... oh; and I only weighted about 180 lbs then; now I'm 240 and the Deuce fits....

Last edited by PTSDBob; 04-11-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

I had the Harley 1/4 fairing for the last 6 years or so. Worked great to take the wind blast off my chest--no buffeting ever. I recently ditched the 1/4 fairing and now run the harley 18" compact. Much more wind protection and comfort with the windshield. I have no issues with buffeting at all. I have had an old bagger wind deflector mounted and fitted to my bottom tree for the last 4-5 years. I'm 6' and I look THROUGH the
windshield--not over it. I switch from full-face to beanie, still no difference regarding wind blast and comfort.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:01 PM
99%r
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the fairings look good, but I think I will stay with my windshield. I do long hiway-interstate rides so I think the windshield will work better for me.

Thanks

Old 04-13-2014, 02:20 AM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
I'm interested in this also...like the protection of my HD super sport windshield, but been considering a quarter fairing for better appearance. For the price, I like the Memphis Shades gauntlet fairing, but not sure how much protection is really provides. There are lots of options with quarter fairings....be interested to see what others have to say.
I just picked up the Memphis Shade gauntlet and installed this evening. I really like the amount of protection it provides. Difference of night and day on my FXDB.

Quick Reply: Quarter fairing vs HD windshield