Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with an 'old' problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 PM
n4ue
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down New member with an 'old' problem

Hello to all!
I'm a newbe here, but been riding for over 40 years. This is a 'strange' problem... It might be a little long, so please bear with me....
First, I am a retired Electrical Engineer (IBM)
Second, the Harley is a 2007 Dyna I bought new. It was a 'showpiece' at the Gainesville dealership and had a lot of chrome and the dealer installed 103 engine.
Third, the bike is on it's 5th battery (Harley battery)

Specifics:
The scooter has 1400 miles on it. No typo, 1400 miles. It has always been stored indoors and has always had a 'Battery Tender' on it. In fact, several, since I get them for free (legally, ha ha) The starter engages the flywheel OK, just almost impossible to turn over. Oil (Syn) has already been changed 2X.

Today, I went out to start it (headlights normal, etc) and the battery cranked it about 1/2 revolution and that was that. The battery will go to the shop tomorrow for a load test, but I suspect it's OK. At the farm, we have one of those portable battery jumpers, that will start anything including some big John Deere tractors. IT won't turn the Dyna over. It tries but it just can't. So, next, I took an old auto battery that's been in my shop and with some huge, short, welding cable type jumper cables I made to start my hot rods, it started the Dyna OK.
Luckily, the bike fires instantly (once turning over!) and idles perfect and runs perfect. However, even with the car battery, the head light dims to almost nothing while it's cranking. I cannot vouch for the car battery, but it was on a charger all night and it seems OK.
If it had a lot of miles on it, I could understand. But 1400? I have 2 hot rods with high compression engines and I can crank them for a long time compared to the Dyna. I just can't fit an Optima battery to my HD... ha ha
It left me stranded once, and it is hard to trust.
Any thoughts??? The engine cannot be that tight. New starter time?

thank you!!
ron

Old 04-13-2014, 04:29 PM
CraigB1960
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression releases

Old 04-13-2014, 04:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The bikes pissed off at you for not riding her.

I would start with the battery cables. Take them apart on both ends, clean them up, and retighten them. Also go through every fuse and clean and put deelectric grease on them.

I doubt very much it is the starter...if it still gives you problems try replacing the starter relays. I have a feeling there is some corrosion somewhere.

Once you fix it, ride it...move it or lose it. Dyna's can't stand sitting in one place for too long

Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Craig might be on to something. The factory 103s have an ACR (auto compression release) built in to them. Even then, they crank hard.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
The bikes pissed off at you for not riding her.

I would start with the battery cables. Take them apart on both ends, clean them up, and retighten them. Also go through every fuse and clean and put deelectric grease on them.

I doubt very much it is the starter...if it still gives you problems try replacing the starter relays. I have a feeling there is some corrosion somewhere.

Once you fix it, ride it...move it or lose it. Dyna's can't stand sitting in one place for too long

Old 04-13-2014, 05:51 PM
n4ue
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys..... I will go back over the cables. However, the fact that the cables get hot to the point of slight smoking, means that there is plenty (!!) of current being drawn. Ohm's law. So, there can't be a bad connection.
This bike went back to the dealer for a 'check-up' before the warranty expired. It also received a new battery (#2) at that time.
This is NOT a factory 103, but the dealer installed version. I'm beginning to think it's timing related...... this engine seems harder to turn over than the Super Gas Camaro I had, and that was a 12.5:1 compression 427 BB Chevy. ha ha
Once running (love the FI) it just purrs.....The only modification has been a small opening of the exhaust baffles. Certainly this shouldn't affect it's cranking, right???

any thoughts? Thanks again,
ron

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

SE255 cams?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the cables are gettig nthat hot i suspect a bad ground or starter as they should NOT be drawing that much power just to spin it up. pull your positive and negative cables clen both the cable terminal and the surface it connects to and reinstal with soem die electric grease or vasilene in a pinch. whiel you have it apart have your starter checked out

Old 04-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
if the cables are gettig nthat hot i suspect a bad ground or starter as they should NOT be drawing that much power just to spin it up. pull your positive and negative cables clen both the cable terminal and the surface it connects to and reinstal with soem die electric grease or vasilene in a pinch. whiel you have it apart have your starter checked out
Ditto. They should not be getting that hot. That indicates a loose connection.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

All good thoughts ^
I know after re-ringing a bore, it is quite tight in there, so maybe the combination of: tight rings, high lift cam, valve springs to match the cam, and with no compression release... I can see it. The 'dealer' knows all of this... got it for a 'great' price, right?
As an engineer you understand the value of meticulous preparation.. probably was not done on this bike.... Were it me... I would take an 'oil sample' and have it checked for 'metal residue' which should tell you 'what' is loosening up in there... and just might need a little more time. Also; using deductive reasoning can lead you to the 'end' result, just takes a little time.... Keep us posted.. !! P.S. are you 'burning any oil?' Those rings need to 'seat' or you will be burning oil for quite a while.. seating rings... that's the fun part !! ZOOM over and over...

Quick Reply: New member with an 'old' problem