Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna comfort....Is there an answer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebeattie
Ill vouch for the HD Sundowner two up seat. Looks dorky on my Fatbob, but its simply fantastic for longer rides or days when really in the saddle. Im 5'5" and 220. My butt does very well at the end of the day.
Thanks ebeattie......I had Sundowner on the Fat Bob last summer and gave it up because I couldn't get used to the look on that bike or that it raised my ride hight.
Fast for to now, the Switchback is a totally different animal that doesn't need a low slung seat to fit its lines(and I'd don't give a sh*t at this point). I also have a fairing with a tall recurved windshield.
I ordered a Sundowner from E-bay before I left for work this morning. I know it'll be comfortable, let's see how it does on the Switchy.

What the hell at this point, might as well try...if the SDer doesn't cut it, I'll try some kind of pad.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I don't care for the sundowner seat....it's too cushy for my tastes. It creates pinch points for me and I can't move around good on it.

I've had one & I've also had the seat you have now among other Mustang seats.

Then I bought a Corbin Dual Tour... & it's hands down the best seat I have ever owned. It's more of a firm seat & very supportive. I'm 6'1" & 215 & I can ride that seat all day, and my wife can as well. She also loves the seat compared to the others I have had.

Pricey...yes.
Worth every penny...yes.

IMO, a Corbin seat & floorboards on a Dyna is the most comfortable you're going to get.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM
roninsonic
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might just be age... I'm 6'4 260lbs dressed, and I ride on the original HD seat that I'm pretty sure was designed for a midget. You might also just not be willing to put up with the stuff you used to :P

Old 04-14-2014, 10:54 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

the stock suspension is junk, you need to upgrade the rear shocks for something a bit longer and either add heavier weight oil in the forks or upgrade the springs and oil.

just changing the seat isn't gonna make the bike more comfortable in the long run..

Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
MorrisGray
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spring suggestions?

Please offer some suggestions on the springs?
p/n? where to buy?

And do you know what weight oil is in the forks?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:59 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,185 Likes on 11,112 Posts

So what causes butt burn? Is it the seat or lack of circulation in your butt from sitting too long?
I rode 10 hour days for years but I was frequently on and off. IMO, the most comfortable HD seat is the police saddle with the air bladder.
I just need to figure out how to put one on my SG.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Harley-F...2cf527&vxp=mtr

Last edited by upflying; 04-14-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We had the sundowner seat on our wide glide. At 5'7" I was pushed close to the gas tank. Talking about uncomfortable, it sucked.We went with the C&C wide seat and love it.
Rider comfort is okay.
I would probably consider having one of your seats redone to fit you better.
For long trips it seems that is all that is out there for me but I have comfort.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel your PaiN...lol

We are just about same size and same bike.
I've tried/checked into just about every seat out there and for comfort that fugly mustang wide touring is the best for comfort that I've found so far.
Only problem is it looks like **** and the backrest is too wide (makes my back sweat) but it IS functional and helps on the longer trips.

As others have said here, add a backrest...that helps, but see backrest comments above...see my pics and you will see what i mean.

Change springs in front to a proper flat wound, I used racetech $125
Rear shocks too...i used progressive 430's $470(?, not sure what I paid) ...there are even better ones out there but point is, good suspension helped a lot for riders our size.

I know you also go to the switchback forum so hit up scubabiker there and ask him to make you some board extenders like he did for me....huge difference as you will have way more positions for your feet.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PaiN
I'm 46, physically fit, no low back or serious bodily injuries. So my discomfort is not caused by any physical problem.
I hate to bitch like this but its the second bike(The SW is much better then the FB), God knows how many seats and its really taking the enjoyment out of my riding. Like I said in the OP I don't commute with the bike, when I ride its usually for the day or more.
When I came on-board to this forum I remember reading all of your seat posts when you had the FatBob - at first you'd love the seat and then after riding it some you curse it out like it was the worse thing in the world. In fact I think I remember you saying that you loved your Switchback when you first made your trade.
Thankfully I never encountered the same issues you did with your seat dilemma and all I can say about the seat topic is while a seat can increased or decrease rider comfort some it may not be the seat that is the problem, maybe it's your fit and expectations of the bike.
I'm comfortable doing full day rides on my Dyna, but I think the Dyna is more of a maneuverable bike than a highway bike which is why I bought it, unlike some of the touring bikes that are made for all day comfort - maybe you should have bought a RoadKing or something.
Is there a shop near you that rents them as renting one for a weekend will tell you the answer before buying another one.
I have selected the Corbin's for my 1 & 2 up riding pleasure - but then the stock seat was okay as well....

Last edited by JMC22; 04-14-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have burly slammers all the way lowered, and that should make the ride pretty uncomfortable but i also have a seat from sicksaddles which i find incredibly comfortable..so in the end, i can ride 4-5 hours a day with no problems

Name:  vSjJfwZ.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  929.2 KB

Quick Reply: Dyna comfort....Is there an answer?