Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna comfort....Is there an answer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:01 PM
T.o.n.y.T.
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airhawk was my option

Gone on several rides the past 2 summers that were over 4000 miles each. The Airhawk was a butt saver for me. Being able to get the air circulation under the cheeks was exactly what I needed. Not sure if it would work for you, but this is my 2 cents.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ebeattie
Ill vouch for the HD Sundowner two up seat. Looks dorky on my Fatbob, but its simply fantastic for longer rides or days when really in the saddle. Im 5'5" and 220. My butt does very well at the end of the day.
+1 on the sundowner.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I look back at all the bikes I've ever ridden and the straight, flat non conforming seats like early 80's motorcycles were far more comfortable than anything I've seen on a HD. Look at the BMW lineup or even most Honda's and their seat designs are generally far superior to Harley designs. The flaw with bucket or deep bucket seats is that they are not a neutral seat and not everybody's butt is the size of a bucket style motorcycle seats. I've had my deep bucket for 5 years and its finally getting flattened out or worn in enough that its actually pretty comfortable. It wasn't that way when I first installed it.

Look at any other companies seats, Triumph or the Jap bikes and you will see seats that are more designed around form and function then styling.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:04 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you've tried multiple seats from multiple vendors. then the problem is likely not the seat or the bike.

you might try an airhawk seat cushion. as suggested above.

or find yourself a reputable seat builder and have them custom make something for you.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:14 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, I used to have the same problem with the butt burn/pain. I know it sounds crazy but nutrition has a big part in how long a person can stay in the saddle. Before I go for a long ride, I try to have a healthy meal and drink plenty of liquids to hydrate my body, along with a multi vitamin. I notice on days when im in a rush and don't drink anything before a 2-300 mile ride my *** is hurtin after the first couple hours...I don't know if hydration improves circulation, but I ride a sport bike which barley has a seat and I have no problems on day trips anymore.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a pic of you sitting on the bike? The seat is just part of the equation. Hand/arm/feet position take their toll. I use the Mustang Wide Vintage and can go all day. I have not run an ironbutt...but my longest straight stretch with only gas stops was 750 miles.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 AM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I missed some of the posts and advice in here.
I'm headed out today to put some miles on the Sundowner, so the ride will decide.
This seat has a totally different look on the Switchback vs. the Fat Bob, too me, the SDer does not look out of place at all. Better than that the seating position is fine, I don't feel any big differences in height or forward position. Just sitting on it without riding the SDer is more plush, most important I feel significantly more seat under me, the Mustang is wide but feels more narrow, I hope this spreads out the pressure and does the trick. I'm also going to run with a new LRS Ultra windshield. Alright coffee is in.....I've got to get wheels on the road.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Everyone tries to throw money at the problem...
Get new seat...
Change suspension...
Buy this, change that...

How about this:
Figure out what is causing your problems before throwing money at it.
Just a thought.

Part of it may be you. It seems you are getting back into riding. Your *** will get more used to riding in time.

I put huge miles in a dyna and I am not a small guy.
Over those miles I've learned what my bike needs.

Sore ***, try:
Compression shorts like Rog said. They make a huge difference. Lose the underwear ang get a pair of cycling shorts or compression short. It may be all you need.
Lambs wool over the seat too on long runs. Even a ride back from the keys my *** squawks at me if I don't have them on. Start there before you go do anything else.

Sore back:
Find out what is causing it.
I fixed mine by pulling the handlebars back as far as I could without them hitting the tank.
You may need a riser due to your height.
Hopefully you are using floorboards on longer runs. Forward controls suck for the back and knees over 300 miles. At least in my experience.

Ask all these guys giving you advice how much they regularly ride at one sitting (Rog and DesertDyna have it covered) How many miles and hours? What works for 100 miles and 3hours won't work for 300-1000 miles and 10, 12, or 18 hours.

Or hell, throw money at it and keep us posted on what it costs you to get comfortable.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-19-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

What DD said. Usually it's more than the seat. I find my WG far more comfortable than my SG -- go figure. The seat that came with the bike (used) looks like a Badlander but it is fatter. The suspension on the WG appears stock and clanks on hard-edged road bumps but on regular pavement it rides smoother than the SG.

You might have to do some setup work to make the bike right for you. Gel pads are a good idea.

And here's something else and I mean no disrespect: as we get older our muscles get soft. Butts tend to get bigger too. If you are not working out you may have what could be described as "tired butt." Muscles get soft and pretty soon you are riding on your hip and thigh bones. that's where a lot of the pain comes from. Might not be your problem but (butt) if if is you might find some respite by doing some glut and leg workouts.

Last edited by bjewell; 04-19-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
Ask all these guys giving you advice how much they regularly ride at one sitting (Rog and DesertDyna have it covered) How many miles and hours? What works for 100 miles and 3hours won't work for 300-1000 miles and 10, 12, or 18 hours.

Or hell, throw money at it and keep us posted on what it costs you to get comfortable.
Couldnt be more spot on. Ive taken many 300 mile rides on my bike with never an issue. On my iron butt run, by 500 miles my bikes and my bodys issues started showing, By 800 miles they were pretty clear, by 1000 they were slapping me across the face.

When I was done every square inch of my body was sore..................except for my ***.

Quick Reply: Dyna comfort....Is there an answer?