Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

...Another suspension question for the wizards...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM
lesplay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...Another suspension question for the wizards...

Ok, so I'm still trying to figure out how to have the best of both worlds. I want to lower the bike but keep the 12" travel and performance. I mentioned before in another thread about using lowering blocks. I know that makes the suspension softer....but what if I used lowering blocks and went with Ricor or Progressive 12" Heavy Duty Shocks. Won't the heavy duty shock offset the softer ride because of the changed angle of the lowering blocks?

Would love to hear if someone has tried this!!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Keep in mind, suspension travel and shock travel are two different things.

A 12" shock has a given travel, but with lowering blocks, your still reducing the distance the wheel can travel before hitting the fender (bottom out.)

Lowering blocks also deflects the angle of the force on the shock.

If you want to lower the bike, shorter shocks are the better method. If you want to lower the bike AND retain a decent ride quality, high quality lower shocks are the answer. You have options depending on your budget. For a reasonable price, you can buy Progressive 444 in 11.5" length. The higher end brands don't make short versions because they know they are sacrificing ride quality. I'm not even sure the 444 come in anything shorter than 11.5".

Now, if you are simply vertically challenged and have to have a really low bike, you could.
Use a good 12" shock (not 412) along with lowering blocks. You'll sacrifice suspension travel and May bottom out (especially with a passenger.)
Or.
Buy the Burly slammer kit (10.5" shocks.). There are people that are happy with them. My experience is that they are crap.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty well sums it up as far as I'm concerned...So what's it going to be, performance or the slammed look?

Old 04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
Keep in mind, suspension travel and shock travel are two different things.

A 12" shock has a given travel, but with lowering blocks, your still reducing the distance the wheel can travel before hitting the fender (bottom out.)

Lowering blocks also deflects the angle of the force on the shock.

If you want to lower the bike, shorter shocks are the better method. If you want to lower the bike AND retain a decent ride quality, high quality lower shocks are the answer. You have options depending on your budget. For a reasonable price, you can buy Progressive 444 in 11.5" length. The higher end brands don't make short versions because they know they are sacrificing ride quality. I'm not even sure the 444 come in anything shorter than 11.5".

Now, if you are simply vertically challenged and have to have a really low bike, you could.
Use a good 12" shock (not 412) along with lowering blocks. You'll sacrifice suspension travel and May bottom out (especially with a passenger.)
Or.
Buy the Burly slammer kit (10.5" shocks.). There are people that are happy with them. My experience is that they are crap.

Great post....thank you! Well, unfortunately, Progressive doesn't make the 444 in an 11". I just feel that only dropping a 1/2" from stock is really not going to make a big difference in the look. I'm thinking of going with the 430's since they DO come in an 11". If the Ricor's came in an 11", I would MUCH rather go with those.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with air ride, slammed when parked and aired up for the ride

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 PM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 07bobber
Go with air ride, slammed when parked and aired up for the ride

What kit? How much? How well does an air ride kit handle?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:58 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll hear nothing but praise for air rides.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 AM
ramhunter9
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lesplay
What kit? How much? How well does an air ride kit handle?
Handles like a big ol harley cloud. Loved the air ride on my softail. Do a search plenty of air ride kit threads.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:47 PM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ramhunter9
Handles like a big ol harley cloud. Loved the air ride on my softail. Do a search plenty of air ride kit threads.

Thanks guys..

This is starting to seem like a no brainer......air ride is the answer!! Completely adjustable ride height and varying suspension needs for two up or solo. Am I missing a downside here??? I guess the only question now is...Arnott: Bilstein ($749) or Aldan 11-way ($956)?

Would go Legends but tack on another $700-$1,000

Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM
MorrisGray
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you find better shocks at a reasonable price?

Quick Reply: ...Another suspension question for the wizards...